Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI - woohoo!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX CLI - woohoo!

I know some of you will probably think I'm crazy, but I asked American Express for a CLI on my Blue Cash card today and got it! Background: Applied for card Dec 2008 and received $2500 credit limit. Asked at 3 months for a CLI after being told over the phone that was when I could apply, but was denied because it really had to be 6 months. Then asked again online at 6 months but was denied because I had been denied too recently. Recently I started seeing pre-approvals online for other AMEX cards, so I figured if that was the case they should approve an increase on my existing card. I called in today and was told that if I had asked for an increase within the past 6 months I wouldn't be eligible, but that she would be able to look that up. Told me I was eligible, and could ask for a maximum 3 times increase and that it would be a soft pull. I asked for $7500 and got it!

Wouldn't normally be surprised since my other cards are much higher than that, but since it's AMEX and since everyone on earth is being a pain right now, I'm really happy. My scores are somewhere around 740, no derogs, and I use the card as heavily as I can with that tiny credit limit, and always pay statement balance in full. Really excited that I can start getting some actual use out of the card this year, and surpass the $6500 mark to get those higher rewards faster.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX CLI - woohoo!

I requested a line increase on my Blue Cash a month ago and got it as well - increased from 1.5k to 4.5k, the rep said I could not request more than 3x of my original CL
Message 2 of 19
Zar
Regular Contributor

Mank and Lexa,

Did they ask any other questions when you requested the CLI? I have an AMEX Blue since March 2008 (CL $4,400) and I have never asked for any increase so i would like to be prepared for any questions they would ask when I call.

Thanks for your help!

Zar Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, there was one thing I forgot to include. They asked annual household income and whether I was paying any child support (which they told me I didn't have to answer). Good luck Zar!
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes and also I've had the card since July 2008 and never got an increase... once I was told my score was too low... I asked what it was they said 740ish.... oh well. So My friend added me as an AU on his old Citi card (cause I have a really short credit file) and bumped my score upto 780. Than I applied again and got a 3x increase instantly
Message 5 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

I received my Blue card August 2009 with $2000.  PC to Blue cash and received a rate decrease.   I requested a CLI and received $900 CLI  in October. 
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the increase I'm sure you deserve itSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 19
Zar
Regular Contributor

I'm very happy! I just called and asked for a CLI on my AMEX Blue. My CL was $4,400 and now it is $12,000! It was all automated and I didn't need to talk to a real person.

Thanks guys!

Zar Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Zar on 12-11-2009 04:50 PM
Message 8 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Is there a button online or do you have to call now?
Message 9 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
Is there a button online or do you have to call now?

Yes, there's a button online but it's hardly visible. Upon logging in one would have to do a site search to find it

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.