Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Card Upgrading and SUB

tag
TSlop
Valued Contributor

AMEX Card Upgrading and SUB

Hello all,

I am about to get started with Hilton Honors, and I was curious if anyone can answer a question about upgrading AMEX cards. Quick background: I currently have the offer for 100,000 points for $1k spend on the no AF HH card. I am debating between getting that improved bonus or going for the 130,000 points on the Surpass. I know I will want the Surpass in the future (for the status and other perks). I also know the Surpass has a free weekend night currently in the SUB, but I don't have any trips planned and I am unsure I'd use it within the year.

My questions is: does AMEX offer a SUB on upgrading credit cards? I'm thinking about getting the no AF card for now and then upgrading in a year or 2.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Card Upgrading and SUB

The Amex Hilton Honor card does get targeting for upgrade with a SUB. 

Message 2 of 4
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the response. I will probably go this route then.

I was researching more after posting this, and it sounds like you can "double-dip" welcome offers by applying for the next card after a year and then immediately upgrading the original one. I wouldn't be able to hit 2 minimum spends though, so that option is out the window.

Message 3 of 4
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@TSlop wrote:

Thank you for the response. I will probably go this route then.

I was researching more after posting this, and it sounds like you can "double-dip" welcome offers by applying for the next card after a year and then immediately upgrading the original one. I wouldn't be able to hit 2 minimum spends though, so that option is out the window.

I tried this with the BCE and BCP last year and it did not work.

I had the BCE for a year and I started seeing a link on my account page to an upgrade offer.  It was $250 for $1000 spend, same as the BCP welcome offer.  My plan was to app for a new BCP and get the welcome offer, then upgrade the BCE to a BCP and get it again.

As soon as I applied for the BCP, I got a "we'll respond in 7-10 days" page and the BCE upgrade link disappeared.  A few days later, I did get approved for the new BCP, but I never saw the upgrade link on the BCE again.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.