Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Centurion- Score 680?

tag
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Centurion- Score 680?

My old roommate has the card. His credit score is not amazing because he runs ALOT of money through his accounts and doesnt bother paying before the statement cuts. He is not worrying about "maximizing his score". The Centurion is just a charge card at the end of the day I'm sure the UW criteria is not that difficult especially if you have millions in holdings. Now as far as getting an invite, thats a whole different story.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 31 of 37
fot1
Established Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Someone posted their approval with AMEX Centurion with the score of 680s (all across three CBs) on whogavemecredit,  but wow...you can get approved with those scores?  I would def. love to have one myself, but initiation fee of $7.5k + annual fee of $2.5k is pretty hefty for me. 

LOL, I can tell you I would not waste 10K on a piece of plastic even if I could afford the fees, there are much better areas to plunk 10K down.

Hookers and Booze?..lol

Too many to list..
Message 32 of 37
phonic
Contributor

Regarding very high income and famous people (i.e. the big people...), it is definitely accurate that many have less than stellar to horrible credit.

There was a website that had dozens of leaked celebrity credit reports. While the only names that I remember off the top of my head were Bill Gates and Paris Hiton, I do remember seeing many famous actors and actresses. And none of them had a very 'good' credit report, at least in regards to what matters to a score. Many had late payments and even some defaults. The vast majority only had a handful of tradelines - a couple credit cards, a couple car loans and a mortgage. Granted, those credit cards were usually $50-250k in limits, hundreds of thousands in car loans and multi-million dollar mortgages. But outside of those very high limits/balances, the rest of the reports looked mediocre at best. Almost everyone of them had an Amex (likely Centurion) and maybe a BoA or Chase.

Point being, as others have said, when you have millions->billions in assets, the rules are different. You could have a 600 FICO score and still get approved for anything you want - because the banks know they will get their money (most of the time). They want famous celebrities to carry their cards since it makes their brand seem more elite to everyone else who sees them use it. In the end, they don't care about their credit score because it doesn't mean anything for them.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 33 of 37
Lin55
Frequent Contributor

@bobebob wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Someone posted their approval with AMEX Centurion with the score of 680s (all across three CBs) on whogavemecredit,  but wow...you can get approved with those scores?  I would def. love to have one myself, but initiation fee of $7.5k + annual fee of $2.5k is pretty hefty for me. 

Wow, you must be flush.  Those fees aren't "hefty" for me, they're highway robbery!

I don't know if I could justify the card even if I won the lottery.  I don't think that the benefits over the platinum justify the increased price tag.

With a $2.5K AF they better get a LOT of benies, like free first class flights or something...then it would be worth it.

Message 34 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Lin55 wrote:

@bobebob wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Wow, you must be flush.  Those fees aren't "hefty" for me, they're highway robbery!

I don't know if I could justify the card even if I won the lottery.  I don't think that the benefits over the platinum justify the increased price tag.

With a $2.5K AF they better get a LOT of benies, like free first class flights or something...then it would be worth it.

The ratio between this and the Amex Plat/Citi AA exec etc, is 5x, which is the same as the ratio between those cards and say CSP.  Lots of people here are willing to pay 5x CSP for the benefits of those cards, so it shouldn't be so surprising that others are willing to spend 5x those fees.  (And there are plenty who think spending $95 AF is crazy as well!)

Message 35 of 37
Networth
Frequent Contributor

When your talking about a card like the Centurion is all about income. It's also a status symbol remember in the early 90's when people heard about some special "Black American Express" for wealthy trendsetters. Than in if I remember right 99' Amex actually released the real thing realizing the rumor was good publicity. Even with said assets I see the AF as a waste you have to remember most well off indidvduals are not trend setting celeberties like Jobs or Jay-Z and did not get wealthy by making poor financial choices based off status. For what Amex charged for the card you can easily by those benefits out right.  

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 36 of 37
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Thread locked and under review.

        
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.