cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Card - way to get actual spending limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Charge Card - way to get actual spending limit?

I know the AMEX charge cards say "no pre-set spending limit". But apparently there is a secret limit that a cardholder can go up to before a transaction gets flagged. Does anybody know how to get this actual charge limit?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Charge Card - way to get actual spending limit?

Phouchg wrote:
I know the AMEX charge cards say "no pre-set spending limit". But apparently there is a secret limit that a cardholder can go up to before a transaction gets flagged. Does anybody know how to get this actual charge limit?

This is what I did I trew a **bleep** fit on the phone (Mocked)  becuse they ran a credit check for my Corp Amex. Say "Why do I need to have a Credit check if I'm paying everything at the end of the month". Play dumn then they say they need to know how much you can spend they usually tell you after that. i'm truly NO LIMIT becuse of my long time Amex afiliation.
Message 2 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Their preset spending limit is based on prior charges, but how the heck do they determine it if it's a new card?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

fishbjc wrote:
Their preset spending limit is based on prior charges, but how the heck do they determine it if it's a new card?

Youre CREDIT
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call and ask, they will give you a ballpark.
Message 5 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Phouchg wrote:

Keep spending until they shut it down then PIF   Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

According to the CSR at AMEX, your credit score is only a small guideline on determining your initial credit line, it's also based on income, type's of cards, etc.   

Looking back over my AMEX statements, the most I spent in one month was 5k, but on average 2k.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just run it up a high as you can the first month (like I did) PIF a few days after the statement cuts- AMEX will be happy-

It got it up there pretty good the first month for me anyways- close to 5K -

Message 8 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

On my new card, I had only 2 weeks before they closed the statement on me. Due to that, I could not charge a lot but I made 5 payments in 2 weeks. Hopefully that should  make Amex happy.
Message 9 of 10
Marvintran
Regular Contributor

It really depends on what kind of Amex you got also, because on my plum to be able to get the 2% cash back you must spend more than 5k a month. last month I spend bout 10k on it so its kinda nice to see the that 2% back on my next billing cycle.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.