Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Cards

tag
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

AMEX Charge Cards

I was thinking about applying for an Amex charge card in a few months. I was approved for Amex Hilton on the 3rd of this month. I am glad to have my foot in the door with Amex.  I am also authorized user on my wife's Amex Hilton and Amex Delta.

I was wondering what everyone thought about the different charge accounts. All the requirements the same?  Does each require different scores or is it all the same ? I was interested in the Amex Platinum but was going to start off with a green or should I just go for the platinum?

thanks for the feedback. 

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX Charge Cards

The majority view seems to be that all the charge cards have (about) the same underwriting,  if you can get one you can get any, then you choose depending on benefits vs AF.    So if you are sure you want the Plat, go for it.     Major difference between that and the others is that there is no waiver of AF for the first year, so make sure you can use the benefits!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

They have different rewards. I might get PRG later if MR seems like a good fit for my plans.
Message 3 of 13
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

I am reward hungry lol. I spend the last year rebuilding and paying fees after fees to banks for nothing in return. Now, I want the banks to reward me Smiley Happy
Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 4 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

What was the reason for denial on the recent GRN app because it may require more time than a few months for an approval?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're looking for rewards, the PRG has the best rewards structure out of the three charge cards.  I got mine back in March and it quickly became my daily card.  If you can justify the $450 and can get the 100K MR points offer, the Platinum card has the highest opening offer - The PRG has 25K or 50K depending on what mood they're in.  I've racked up a few thousand points on top of getting the spend bonus and it's been an all-around great card.  In my opinion, the Green card is just there for posterity.  It was the first and the most recognizable Amex card there is, but doesn't really reward you for using it.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I agree that requirements are all about the same.  Just remember that Plat AF is 450 plus any AU's.  But since hubby got that 100k, it makes up for the AF.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the platinum then product changed it over to the PRG. I realized I was more of a rewards guy than perks, so the PRG fit my style more. However when I had the platinum I was traveling and I was able to check out the different centurion lounges. They were okay but I wasn't very impressed and I came to conclusion it wasn't a must have. For the plat evrrything I bought was only worth 1 point also. So far with the PRG I get 2x pts on gas and dining which I spend a lot on and also 3x pts on flights booked directly with the airline. You also still get $100 in airline fee per a year, the plat is $200 a year, but it's still great I get something.

Overall, I'm very happy with the PRG. The AF is cheaper too and the gold just looks better lol. I would highly recommend the PRG if you're looking into charge cards.
Message 8 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CostantinoA wrote:

I was thinking about applying for an Amex charge card in a few months. I was approved for Amex Hilton on the 3rd of this month. I am glad to have my foot in the door with Amex.  I am also authorized user on my wife's Amex Hilton and Amex Delta.

I was wondering what everyone thought about the different charge accounts. All the requirements the same?  Does each require different scores or is it all the same ? I was interested in the Amex Platinum but was going to start off with a green or should I just go for the platinum?

thanks for the feedback. 

My Amex charge card, a platinum, has been pretty much useless to me, and a waste of $450 year. One needs to travel a lot to make it useful.

I don't think any of the charge cards would have been useful to me at all.

They're easier to get than the credit cards, and the underwriting standards for all the charge cards seem to be the same.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good point in that you want to be sure it is worth it when you get any card.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.