Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Charge Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Charge Cards

Hey everyone, 

Regarding the AMEX charge cards (green, gold, premier gold, and platinum), are these cards easier or harder to get than their revolvers? Do they have a strict income requirement? I've been thinking about getting one in a few months when most of my debt is paid off. 

I like how I NEED to pay off the card every month, and also all of the perks that come with them. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Charge Cards

From my understanding, they are easier to get than credit cards. 

Message 2 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Anecdotally, there have been plenty of people on here who reported being able to get an Amex charge card (Green, Gold, etc) with no problem but were told no when they tried for a revolver, so it does seem the charge cards have a lower bar for approval.

That being said, if you look hard enough you will also find the opposite situation; I think I've read twice of somebody reporting not being able to get a charge card but being approved for a revolver (the exact opposite of what most people experience) but it's not common. 

In other words, based on evidence here the charge cards are easier, but it's always YMMV.  Smiley Very Happy

The fast way to be made into a liar on here is to utter the words "always", "never", or "absolutely".  Smiley Wink

(with the notable exception of 'always YMMV' - that's generally pretty safe... LOL)

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Anecdotally, there have been plenty of people on here who reported being able to get an Amex charge card (Green, Gold, etc) with no problem but were told no when they tried for a revolver, so it does seem the charge cards have a lower bar for approval.

That being said, if you look hard enough you will also find the opposite situation; I think I've read twice of somebody reporting not being able to get a charge card but being approved for a revolver (the exact opposite of what most people experience) but it's not common. 

In other words, based on evidence here the charge cards are easier, but it's always YMMV.  Smiley Very Happy

The fast way to be made into a liar on here is to utter the words "always", "never", or "absolutely".  Smiley Wink

(with the notable exception of 'always YMMV' - that's generally pretty safe... LOL)

+1

In my experience, the charge cards are probably slightly easier to get. The PRG/Gold/Green were the first to show up on the AMEX prequal site for me, and it was only after a while that the ED and BCE started to show up too.

I don't think that income is too much of an issue. It might have been in the past with AMEX, but with the loss of Costco etc., it seems like they are slightly lowering the underwriting criteria to increase the number of cardholders.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah my nephew is in college and makes minimum wage. He was able to get a gold card. I'm sure his spending power is pretty low but his foot is in the door
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll also add that there is no underwriting difference between the various charge cards.  The Platinum is no harder to get than the green card for example.  

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that a minimum wage college student felt that he needed a Gold card? I barely had any amount of money in college lol!

Message 7 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting that a minimum wage college student felt that he needed a Gold card? I barely had any amount of money in college lol!

I had a Green card while in college years ago... a few times it was a God-send.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 16
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll also add that there is no underwriting difference between the various charge cards.  The Platinum is no harder to get than the green card for example.  

^^^^^ This.  As previously noted, anecdotally the charge cards are easier to get.  I've read on other forums (over a long period of time)  where AMEX CSR's have commented (take this with a grain of saltSmiley Wink ) that there are different underwriting criteria for the charge cards vs the revolving credit cards, and that charge cards are easier to get.   But there's no difference in underwriting criteria for the charge card group of cards.

Always YMMV.  Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya I could see how it could come in handy in times! I just remember $195 being ALOT of money to me back then. Oh how times have changed

/memorylane

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.