Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - Combined credit limits between products

tag
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

AMEX - Combined credit limits between products

I've had the Costco TE card for sometime, with an 18k limit. Yesterday I decided I wanted the BCP for the 6% cash which will work great with my spending not to mention they are running a nice little promo ... applied and got an instant approval for 14k, and now I have a total of 32k credit with AMEX.  Today, I log in and look at my TE card and they reduced my limit to 10.3k, knocking my total CL down to 24.3k.  It's not a big deal but I figured I'd share it I know people like to track AMEX behavior around here. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX - Combined credit limits between products

@dollar_bill wrote:

I've had the Costco TE card for sometime, with an 18k limit. Yesterday I decided I wanted the BCP for the 6% cash which will work great with my spending not to mention they are running a nice little promo ... applied and got an instant approval for 14k, and now I have a total of 32k credit with AMEX.  Today, I log in and look at my TE card and they reduced my limit to 10.3k, knocking my total CL down to 24.3k.  It's not a big deal but I figured I'd share it I know people like to track AMEX behavior around here. 

Strange that they would do that without letting you know ahead of time.  Maybe you would have selected a different distribution of CLs.  It is AE so you never know what they are going to do.

Message 2 of 6
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

They did that with me when I applied for the everyday card last year and DH when he applied for the BCP.

If you dare (4506-t and all), you can request a CLI on your TE. It just needs to be 6 months since your last TE increase.
FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 3 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

So there's that rumored $25k "easy limit" again. Good to know, both another data point about the limit and AMEX willingness to CLD without warning to maintain the $25k.

Thanks for sharing.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 6
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

This is interesting

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 6
dollar_bill
Regular Contributor

@techiegirl wrote:
They did that with me when I applied for the everyday card last year and DH when he applied for the BCP.

If you dare (4506-t and all), you can request a CLI on your TE. It just needs to be 6 months since your last TE increase.

Yup, I think i'll pass and just keep the limits where they are. Honestly it's more credit than i'll use unless I go on a vacation which isn't on the horizon!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.