Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Customer Service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Customer Service

I think it’s also important for a customer to keep perspective on what they’re asking of a front level CSR. These folks have a specific function within the organization. They are not senior decision makers. 

If a customer is denied an extension of credit, whether it be a new card or a CLI, for example, this is not something a CSR can assist with. They have no power to override that decision.  

In my opinion, you can’t benchmark customer service levels accurately when you are asking for something that can’t be solved at that level.

Message 31 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.

Exactly. 

How much time you have Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Well I had called in regards of a CLI and the reason on the denial letter, this was after I was prompted by my online chat session to call as "they understood my point", phone rep read me the script and when I explained that my payment didn't bounce but it was missing a number on my checking account number and honestly it should not have cleared and been verified when adding the payment account and prior to me using it, the rep didn't skip a beat and reread the same script, but did add that after some time it wouldn't count against me, but the were not rude just not very friendly.

Another time the had denied DH for increase stating he hadn't used his card for X amount of months, even though he never got the "credit steps to speak" email, however he did use card, they claimed he did not even though statement history said he had, rep didn't care said he was reading his online account wrong yeah ok lol.

DH had closed a few cards that he wasn't using, the rep never once asked him or even suggested on trying to keep the card.

My other encountered down the road a bit I called after I applied for a CLI, I thought "sometime may have passed", but apparently it didn't, so when I called to inquire the rep said no we don't have your request on file, was I sure I applied. I said yes well he said nope I don't see anything would you like to apply, yes dummy me and denied again, then get connected to another rep who was a little rude and asked why I would apply twice in one week Excuse me uggggg.

And then my last denial reason was absurd, so I have decided to SD them, not take it personal and let their reps drive me nuts, it's just business but sometimes I think their reps need a refresher course.

Perhaps you are calling them about things they can't do anything about.  People tend to be less pleasant when you ask them to do things they can't do then when you ask them things they can do.  

Also I prefer that they dont' ask me the reason that I am closing a card or try to keep me from closing a card.  I close cards all the time and it is nice to be able to it via chat. Sometimes they suggest I call in but I say I would prefer to close it via chat and they do close it.   

Message 32 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:
I am interested to hear what the specific questions are which the OP was trying to get answered.

As well, those who don’t like their response from AMEX could please clarify what they were trying to accomplish.

Especially the OP. If you are going to start a new thread about what terrible customer service you received after talking to multiple people you should be required to give some details.  As everyone has always gone out of their way to be overly nice at Amex I really would like to know what would cause someone to get multiple people to be rude to you.

For my first call, I was looking to check on the shipping for my card as it hadn't shown up. The guy kept repeating that it would take up to 10 days to receive my card. I could hear him rolling his eyes. It took 3 attempts to get him to understand that it was past that and I wanted to verify the address was correct and that it had been shipped. After he places me on hold for 10 minutes he came back and said that the card was shipped the day before, which was after the 10 days.

For my second call, my payments weren't updating to my account in a timely fashion. The rep kept telling me I could only make 1 payment in the first 30 days and it could take up to 3 days for the balance to reflect it. I kept trying to tell her that I was in my second month and it was taking a week and a half to 2 weeks to update each payment ( I had made 4). She just kept repeating it until she asked if I wanted her to make an exception payment. I said, "sure." She then stated, puzzled, that I had just made 4 payments. I then asked her to check when I made them and when they were posted. At that point she understood what I was asking and put me on hold for 15 minutes. Came back and said everything should be fine now. Since then, my balance updates immediately with payments clearing in 1-2 days.

First one is just laziness on the part of the CSR.  Second one is understandable reaction from CSR as your situation is quite strange.  But they fixed their issue once they understood the situation.  That seems pretty bizarre that your payments weren't reflected for over a week.  

Message 33 of 68
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Especially the OP. If you are going to start a new thread about what terrible customer service you received after talking to multiple people you should be required to give some details.  As everyone has always gone out of their way to be overly nice at Amex I really would like to know what would cause someone to get multiple people to be rude to you.

For my first call, I was looking to check on the shipping for my card as it hadn't shown up. The guy kept repeating that it would take up to 10 days to receive my card. I could hear him rolling his eyes. It took 3 attempts to get him to understand that it was past that and I wanted to verify the address was correct and that it had been shipped. After he places me on hold for 10 minutes he came back and said that the card was shipped the day before, which was after the 10 days.

For my second call, my payments weren't updating to my account in a timely fashion. The rep kept telling me I could only make 1 payment in the first 30 days and it could take up to 3 days for the balance to reflect it. I kept trying to tell her that I was in my second month and it was taking a week and a half to 2 weeks to update each payment ( I had made 4). She just kept repeating it until she asked if I wanted her to make an exception payment. I said, "sure." She then stated, puzzled, that I had just made 4 payments. I then asked her to check when I made them and when they were posted. At that point she understood what I was asking and put me on hold for 15 minutes. Came back and said everything should be fine now. Since then, my balance updates immediately with payments clearing in 1-2 days.

First one is just laziness on the part of the CSR.  Second one is understandable reaction from CSR as your situation is quite strange.  But they fixed their issue once they understood the situation.  That seems pretty bizarre that your payments weren't reflected for over a week.  

My problem was it was obvious she wasn't looking at my account and just responding. Had she done so, she wouldn't have even brought up the 1 payment in 30 days. When she asked if I wanted to make an additional payment she was obviously thinking I was trying to make a second payment in that first 30 days meaning she didn't hear a word I said up to that point about the problem. I told her multiple times that I had made 4 payments in my second month of having the card. It wasn't until she actually looked that she understood what I was asking, which is why I told her to go ahead with a payment. I figured at that point she would have to look at my payment history.

Message 34 of 68
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it’s also important for a customer to keep perspective on what they’re asking of a front level CSR. These folks have a specific function within the organization. They are not senior decision makers. 

If a customer is denied an extension of credit, whether it be a new card or a CLI, for example, this is not something a CSR can assist with. They have no power to override that decision.  

In my opinion, you can’t benchmark customer service levels accurately when you are asking for something that can’t be solved at that level.

As far as the phone calls regarding denial of credit line increase, I called the number specifically on the letter regarding the denial so i did call the appropriate deparment as the letter advised and also the online chat rep gave me the specific number to call.

Not trying to give anyone a hard time of course, but from my OWN personal experience their reps are not top notch in my book.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 35 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

My problem was it was obvious she wasn't looking at my account and just responding. Had she done so, she wouldn't have even brought up the 1 payment in 30 days. When she asked if I wanted to make an additional payment she was obviously thinking I was trying to make a second payment in that first 30 days meaning she didn't hear a word I said up to that point about the problem. I told her multiple times that I had made 4 payments in my second month of having the card. It wasn't until she actually looked that she understood what I was asking, which is why I told her to go ahead with a payment. I figured at that point she would have to look at my payment history.

Yeah but she probably hears the same thing 20 times a day as only Amex has the one payment limit in the first 30 days.  The problem was fixed for a situation that was far from normal. 

Really I have had real problems with credit card companies.  For example being double charged by a merchant and B of A refusing my dispute of the second charge.  And CSR not willing to help at all. 

If I have any doubts with a merchant I always use an Amex card as I know they will be on my side in a dispute. The other card companies default to the merchant's side. Or in BOA situation the just didn't care.  

Message 36 of 68
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah but she probably hears the same thing 20 times a day as only Amex has the one payment limit in the first 30 days.  The problem was fixed for a situation that was far from normal. 

Really I have had real problems with credit card companies.  For example being double charged by a merchant and B of A refusing my dispute of the second charge.  And CSR not willing to help at all. 

If I have any doubts with a merchant I always use an Amex card as I know they will be on my side in a dispute. The other card companies default to the merchant's side. Or in BOA situation the just didn't care.  

But that was my point. She wasn't paying attention and being indifferent. She wasn't listening to my questions, just assuming and responding. She even started interrupting me and raising her voice while repeating the info despite it not applying to me. Regardless if it was a "real problem" or not, the thread is about Amex customer service, and that was bad customer service.

Message 37 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, the excuses being made really are telling. Loyalty to a company is one thing but having loyalty to the point that you forgive them for poor customer service skills is foolish. 

If a CSR isn’t using active listening skills, that’s a problem. I don’t care if you have had the same question a thousand times, if you’re not listening to customers no wonder they get annoyed with you!

Message 38 of 68
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

It's no wonder they have lost market share to Chase, Disco, and USBank. Folks are tired of the 4 Seasons reputation and getting Days Inn service while spending thousands of dollars a year.

Message 39 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

Disclaimer and preface : I have no experience with Amex customer service, cant make positive or negative claims. 

With that said, all these references to "third world reps" are insulting and disdainful.  If you cannot make a point without internet arrogance syndrome, maybe there really isn't a point to be made other than "5 min of my time gone".  Dont they know who I am!!!

A lot of members on this forum are from those countries and/or moved here from overseas. 

Thank you for this post. Not only are “third world’ references insulting, they are also against forum policy.  Posters can adequately describe their experiences with CSRs without using stereotypes or other lazy descriptions of people. There are plenty of horrible customer service reps right here in the US and plenty of very good ones that are based overseas.  It’s fine to say that your interaction with a CSR was difficult if there were language barriers but anything more than that is not and will not be tolerated here.  

Message 40 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.