cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX DECLINED....PLEASE HELP!!!! I MAY NOT GET A JOB!!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX DECLINED....PLEASE HELP!!!! I MAY NOT GET A JOB!!!!!

@kisbel65 wrote:

Op here: thank you all for the info. I just pulled my TU (it had been two months) and it is 568...close, but not 600. I was surprised that I was not approved because I had a AMEX corporate card before with my previous employer and I was approved. I am so ashamed! I have been trying to fix credit for past 8 months. Wasted time with the wrong credit scores (FAKOs) I was in the low 500 range before. I can't believe this....I was laid off in dec 08 and have been trying to get a job and now this...

Well it sounds like you know what you have to do... and I'm sorry you didn't get the card. But that's just for now....in the future is a whole new ball game. You'll get it again, you just have to tighten up a few things first.Smiley Wink Good luck and kind regards

Message Edited by 74king on 05-13-2009 02:57 PM
Message 11 of 19
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Are your scores partly a result of your loss of employment?  Maybe you could have a chat with your future employer and explain.  I'm pretty sure you are not the only one in THAT boat.  You were offered the job based on your experience, education and the belief that your would do a good job.  Don't lose sight of your good points.  You must have beat out many candidates to get that offer.  Accentuate your positives and go talk with them.

What have you got to lose?

Good Luck . . . let us know the result.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Just because AMEX won't give you a Corporate card doesn't mean the Company won't hire you, unless they base their hiring criteria on doing a credit check (more and more companies do this).  Tell the HR people that you had a past problem with AMEX that was settled but they still won't give you a card but you still want to work for them.  Don't just rollover.  Put the ball back in the Companies lap.  If you are the right person for the job they can work the issues.  A lack of an AMEX card shouldn't be a deal breaker in their hiring you.  
Message 13 of 19
kisbel65
New Contributor

I sure hope it is not a deal breaker....will keep you in the loop.
Message 14 of 19
kisbel65
New Contributor

OP here: I paid the old balance to AMEX and they approved me. I got the job and I started working yesterday. Thanks to all who helped me....I am more comitted now to fixing my credit than ever.

05/13/09 TU:586  EQ:540

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Great that everything worked out fine for you Smiley Happy!
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats...Smiley Wink Glad everything worked out for you.
Message 17 of 19
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

That's really good news.  It was a win, win, win for all involved . . . Congratulations . . . Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kisbel65 wrote:

OP here: I paid the old balance to AMEX and they approved me. I got the job and I started working yesterday. Thanks to all who helped me....I am more comitted now to fixing my credit than ever.

05/13/09 TU:586  EQ:540

Congrats!  That is the thing with AMEX.  They may settle a debt for less than owed, but they generally won't let you "back in" unless you settle in full.

When you have an employer who is going to give you a Corp Card, it won't generally be related to your credit, but in your case, based upon their internal records against your name and SSN.  They saw your old account and insisted it be settled in full before they allow you hold any card, whether you are the primary or only an authorized user.  AMEX is not forgiving for any default, whatsoever.  If you don't PIF, don't plan on any future with them (though a few have reported somehow doing so).

Good luck on the new job!  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.