Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta Gold Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Delta Gold Authorized User

I am currently building my credit and recently started a job that requires extensive business traveling. My family member put me as an authorized user on their AMEX Delta Gold card to earn miles, but I found out that AU's can't link their own Delta Skymiles number to the card (thus, I can't get any of the perks like free checked bags or priority boarding). A woman at the airport told me to call AMEX and ask them to put my Skymiles number on a new AU card or ask them to upgrade to my own card. Is this even possible? I've never heard of someone calling AMEX and successfully going from AU to a normal credit card..

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta Gold Authorized User

No it’s not possible.

AU’s can get free checked baggage if they are traveling on the same reservation as the primary card holder. This doesn’t even require being an AU though.

The only benefits to being an AU is access to the credit line, a card in your name, points/miles being accured on the spend and the account being reported to the credit agencies.

You would need to apply for your own card if you want any of the benefits of the Delta card.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay yeah, that's what I thought..the woman (she was working at the baggage counter) must've told me to call AMEX because she didn't want to deal with my questions lol thank you!

Message 3 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP what is your FICO score now?
How long have you been an AU?
Other cards you have in your name? How long?
Any lates in your credit file?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about this very late response!! This topic lost my attention because my job was only for the summer. However, I am returning for full-time employment in a month so I am concerned again. 

My FICO score has been at 659 (Experian) and 675 (Transunion) for the past year. It has stayed stagnant because I had a derogatory account in 2015 (opened by my family member) that I was unable to dispute off of my credit report.

I have 2 AU accounts (both with American Express). They were opened in May 2018.

I also have a Discover card that was opened in March 2018. It was secured, but upgraded to unsecured after 8 months.

I also have a Capitol One secured card that was opened in May 2018. The only thing that Capitol One has done is increase the credit limit.

Is there any chance of convincing Amex to upgrade me from an authorized user to my own card? I'm trying to get a Chase card eventually so I don't want to have to open a separate Amex card and reach 5/24.

Message 5 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, no. AmEx wouldn't be able to make any "upgrades" from your AU card to your own card that way.

Check out the links that were provided earlier for the CAP to determine whether you are eligible for any offers via that channel. Just keep in mind that if you get approved, it will count as a new account on your CRs.

ETA - are you currently at 4/24?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok darn! Could you clarify what you mean by links for the CAP? 

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

On another thread, a couple of links were provided to get more perspective on the AmEx CAP.

But, if I understand what you've shared so far, even if you were to go through that program and eventually get an approval, it will take that slot in the 5/24 count.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you be able to link that thread? I can't seem to find it...

And yes, I am currently at 4/24 Smiley Sad 

Message 9 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to your other thread that contains the posts with those links.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Does-American-Express-Corporate-Card-count-in-Chase-5-...
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.