Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta Reserve & AMEX Delta Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Delta Reserve & AMEX Delta Platinum

Hi all, is been a while. Hope everyone is doing well :-)

Question: What's the advantage and disadvantage of keeping both cards?

I know the main reason would be annual Domestic/International certificate with the Reserve and domestic only with the Platinum.

Edit: 8/1/2019 Sorry for the above. I meant the First Class/Main cabin option.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta Reserve & AMEX Delta Platinum

I had my share of a nice bottle of pinot noir tonight, but I don't see any mention of an international companion ticket for Delta Reserve. Reserve adds the option for domestic First or domestic Comfort+. Delta Platinum's companion certificate is just for the Main Cabin.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/upgrade/terms/delta-reserve-c...

"Delta Reserve Companion Certificate at Renewal

Taxes/Fees/Restrictions: Companion Certificate valid for one round-trip First Class, Delta Comfort+® or Main Cabin Companion ticket with the payment of applicable taxes and fees detailed below and the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands (USVI) must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States and have an address on their SkyMiles account in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the USVI. Each year, the Companion Certificate will be made available for redemption on delta.com in your renewal month. Applicable government imposed taxes and fees vary and depend upon the number of flight segments included in the itinerary and are no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments). Basic Card Members (not Additional Card Members) with the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Delta Reserve Credit Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, and Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card are eligible to receive the first checked bag fee waiver on Delta and Delta Connection carrier tickets. $40 fee for second checked bag. These allowances are subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. Taxes and fees are subject to change, are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the primary ticket is purchased and the Companion ticket is issued. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of primary ticket fare purchased. Tickets are only available in I and Z classes of service for First Class travel, only available in W class for Delta Comfort+ travel, and only available in L, U, T, X, V classes of service for Main Cabin travel and may not be available on all flights or markets. Companion Certificates are eligible for Medallion Complimentary Upgrades which are subject to availability and may not be eligible on all flights. Medallion Members traveling with one companion will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades to both First Class and Delta Comfort+ based on the status of the higher-tiered Member, as long as the companion is a SkyMiles Member, Medallion Member or partner airline elite member, traveling in the same reservation. Companion tickets are not transferable once issued. Companion certificate cannot be combined with another offer or discount including, but not limited to, web fares, sale fares and eCoupons. Primary ticket and Companion ticket must be purchased with your Delta Reserve Credit Card. Both passengers must be booked on the same flights and dates, at the same time. Travel for Companion certificate must be booked and completed by the date on the front of certificate. Validity is not based on the calendar year. Redemption is available only on delta.com. Certificate terms and conditions may vary each year of Card Membership. Additional restrictions apply. See Companion Certificate for details."

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it’s up to a domestic first class match with the ticket.

Honestly, the Delta Reserve would be a good card if you solely fly Delta regularly and want to hunt for status with the MQMs. Outside of that, the Reserve is kind of a meh card which is sad. Especially because the Hilton cobrand Aspire card is honestly a great value.

If you are looking to keep a Delta long term, IMO, the Platinum makes the most sense. Any main cabin seat is going to break even with the companion pass and AF.
Message 3 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I have a cousin who lives in Hawaii who can actually get pretty good value from her Reserve, since she can use the certificate to fly to LAX. It's also reasonable if you take transcontinental flights or live in AK/USVI/PR.

But if you live in MN, you may quite possibly be flying on an older plane where First doesn't really mean much and you're not in the air for very long.

OP's Schwab Platinum gives the same no-free-guests SkyClub access as Reserve.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

Reserve has up to first class, 48-states, unless, as noted, you live in AK, HI, or USVI, and ply from there.  

With a regular AMEX Platinum, the lounge access becomes duplicated.  

The Delta Reserve is supposed to give you an edge if in line for an upgrade, when compared to the others in the same Medallion status in the upgrade queue.

Basic checked bag fee and other factors on the Delta cards are the same. 

Holding both D Reserve and D Plat can be part of a strategy where you spend $30k plus $25k to get the bonus MQM of 15,000 MQM plus 10,000 MQM on a Medallion Status chase. You can do that twice in a year, spend a total of $110,000 to get 50,000 extra MQM and work toward Platinum Delta Medallion status. ( plus a bonus 50,000 SkyMiles ) But that alone cannot get you Delta Diamond anymore, unless you spend $250k on the Delta cards all together.  

Your siggy shows AMEX Platinum, Delta Platinum, and Delta Gold, among other cards. What is the interest in Delta Reserve? The Delta Gold doesn’t provide any benefit you don’t already have with Delta Platinum, so that $95 is straight up cost right now.  Unless you snag an upgrade bonus offer. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 15
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know the main reason would be annual Domestic/International certificate with the Reserve and domestic only with the Platinum.

International?

Edit: I just read the other replies. I was just surprised by this statement.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very sorry for the confussion I caused on this.  I was so distracted with the freaking Fed's rate and was watching my stocks as i was typing lol.

Here are the details:

1. I grabbed the Delta Gold Business solely for the bonus to increase my Skymiles.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but the CSR said that after a year with this card, i can transfer my $10k credit line to another one of my cards.  That's the plan, hopefully i can do this after the year, already got the miles.

2. I grabbed the Delta Platinum last year for the annual certificate.  We always fly delta domestic and international (Europe) with the exception of Hawaii (Alaska) and Las Vegas (Spirit Airlines when i dont use skymiles).  I live in San Diego and Delta is our main.

3. I grabbed the Delta Reserve just to collect more Skymiles (spending has been met).  

4. I will never ever get rid of the AMEX Platinum, as we all know is the best for lounges which we actually use.

I know is not good for our credit to close card, specially immediately after opening one.  That is why i was asking if i should closeo the Delta Reserve or the Delta Platinum.  

I went to a wedding with the fam last month to Wisconsin, and it was very nice to fly first class (out of pocket).  I think it would be nice to have that certificate where i can buy a first class ticket and get a second for free.  My wife has the Delta Platinum, so it is ALSO good that we have 2 certificates/year (her card and mine).  The fees suck!

Most times the first class seats are full, so i guess it would be wise to move my credit line to the Delta Platinum and close the Reserve? but,  LOVED it when i flew first class.......

Message 7 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

How much lead time are you allowing to buy first class seats?

The Reserve does not require you to buy first class.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

i buy a least 2 to 3 months in advance for main/confort...but i was trying a few days before for first and were all gone.

I guess if i keep the Reserve, i'll have to do the same and book 2 to 3 months.  I always know of travel that much ahead of time.

Message 9 of 15
digitek
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it would be nice to have that certificate where i can buy a first class ticket and get a second for free.

LOVED it when i flew first class.......

I think you might have answered your own question here.  For both the Delta Platinum and Reserve the value is really the companion pass and whether you can use it for a ticket that is worth more than the AF.

You can have both and still make out ahead if you use the companion passes even if there are overlapping perks from them or other cards (free checked bags/SkyClub access).  I would keep your Reserve and have your wife keep her Platinum if you can use both of the companion passes (or even keep your Platinum, too, if you can use all 3 companion passes =D).  I'd close out all your other Delta cards after they've been open for 12 months before second AF hits.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.