Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta Reserve & AMEX Delta Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Delta Reserve & AMEX Delta Platinum

@digitek wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it would be nice to have that certificate where i can buy a first class ticket and get a second for free.

LOVED it when i flew first class.......

I think you might have answered your own question here.  For both the Delta Platinum and Reserve the value is really the companion pass and whether you can use it for a ticket that is worth more than the AF.

You can have both and still make out ahead if you use the companion passes even if there are overlapping perks from them or other cards (free checked bags/SkyClub access).  I would keep your Reserve and have your wife keep her Platinum if you can use both of the companion passes (or even keep your Platinum, too, if you can use all 3 companion passes =D).  I'd close out all your other Delta cards after they've been open for 12 months before second AF hits.

Good point to consider!

We travel  "a least" twice per year domestic and one international.

My thinking was this:

First domestic flight - I pay for the ticket, my wife gets her free (My Delta Platinum) AF is $195.  I just check a flight from San Diego to LAX, and it is $388.  Worth it here Smiley Happy

Second domestic flight - My wife pays for the ticket, i get mine free (Her Delta Platinum)

First international flight - I pay for my ticket, my wife gets her for free (My Delta Reserved) AF is $450.  A flight out of the U.S.A. is easily over $1k

Thank you all for the advise, i think i know what i will do.  Keep the Delta Platinum AND Delta Reserve.  Will close my Delta Gold Business but will transfer the credit lin first.

Message 11 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

$388 for SAN to LAX per person round trip?

Uber is quoting me $135 (one way) and you could fit two people in the car.

Probably faster, too.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 15
minski
Established Contributor

First international flight - I pay for my ticket, my wife gets her for free (My Delta Reserved) AF is $450.  A flight out of the U.S.A. is easily over $1k

Unless you are planning on the first leg of the international flight to be domestic, I wouldn't count on using the companion fee there. It's only for domestic/USA flights.

Message 13 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

AMEX Delta Reserve does NOT grant you any companion pass for international travel. 

Both cards are DOMESTIC only.  

I thought this was cleared up in the first few replies?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 15
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No, your plan won't work. Delta Reserve companion is only for domestic travel TO the 48 contiguous states. You can't even use it to travel TO Alaska or Hawaii. It is the SAME as the Delta Platinum companion certificate, only that you can use it on domestic first-class or comfort+ purchased tickets.

If the companion certificate works on international, there'd be a lot more people carrying that card.

source: Companion Certificates : Delta Air Lines

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.