Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Delta upgrade Gold to Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Delta upgrade Gold to Platinum

AMEX has been dangling a 25000 SkyMile for $2000 spend in 90 days for my and DW's Delta Gold accounts and we finally decided to take the offered upgrades.  We fly DL 3-4 times a year and I can easily justify the initial spend and annual fee(s).  New cards are in the mail.

My limit started at $1k in July 2017, and is now $3k.  Hers started at $5k in August 2017 and is now $15000. We have similar scores but her file is much thicker than mine and she has history going back to 2004 with AMEX.  I had none prior to 2017.

Specifically didn't want to apply for new accounts and cancel the existing Gold accounts, trying to keep things ismple and color inside the lines.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta upgrade Gold to Platinum

Awesome! Congrats to you and DW!

I was just thinking about doing the same but didn’t know how to go about things. Was it a targeted offer or did you reach out to see what offers they’d have for an upgrade?

Also does anyone know if it will report as a new trade line? Or do you maintain the original account info?

Thanks for sharing 😊
In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
Message 2 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

That's awesome!  Did you get an MQM bonus also?

@goal_digger Amex upgrades and product changes always retain the original account data.  My Platinum began life Green, my PRG began life as Gold, and my SPG Luxury was just changed a few weeks ago from SPG.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had seen a ribbon on the AMEX site for several weeks but this morning I got an email from Delta Airlines "upgrade your card..." and went through AMEX's site to actually take advantage of the offer.  It was a one-click approval, nothing about income, etc.  

Didn't even look for the MQM bonus.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's all the offer said about MQMs

With Miles Boost®, you can earn 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 or more in eligible purchases on the Card in a calendar year. Earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles and an additional 10,000 MQMs after you spend $50,000 in eligible purchases on the Card in a calendar year for a total of 20,000...

Message 5 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Thanks!  That's the standard Miles Boost for Platinum.  Reserve is 15k/15k at $30k and $60k, with some reports that members are often targeted for an additional 15k/15k at $90k.  That's a ton of spend to put on a Delta card but gets you within 5k MQMs of GM status without taking a single flight.

Message 6 of 9
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your upgrades!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! I have a 7500 limit on mine. The companion ticket makes it worth the $195 AF
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just upgraded mine as well. Honestly its worth the 195 dollar annual fee just for the companion ticket. 2000 in three months will be easy with upcoming holidays (:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.