Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Expresspay??

tag
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Expresspay??

Is the option even available for the Zync card?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 16
jslopez3

Just got off the phone with American Express and got the Zync with expresspay. They're overnighting it to me.

Took a while for him to find the feature, as he was pretty sure this card wasnt included, but I kept telling him over and over that I saw the feature listed here: https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/ExpresspayNew/moreQuestions.html#q10

After some time, he found it and had to go through some questions before he could send the card out. We got through the first question and my phone died. Smiley Mad Had to call back and try to explain to the other guy, and he too was sure they didn't offer it, but then I told him the whole story about the first guy finding it in the system, and he was able to also. They aren't aware that they offer the card with the expresspay chip, so just keep telling them (politely) they do that the website says it, and then you'll get your card.

I wonder if the card looks different, I'll post a pick when I get it on Tuesday. Man Happy

Message 12 of 16
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

I've had my zync for 7-8 mos, and it has the expresspay feature.  The first time I tried to use it I felt like an idiot cause I couldn't get it to work, slapping and pressing my card upon the CC device.  I went home and read about it, then just did the same thing(put the card on the machine) but held it for a few seconds.  Heard a beep, and  then the receipt came out a few seconds later Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Message 13 of 16
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can confirm if you call they will send you new one with chip in it.  I recently upgraded my original BC to BCE, and they sent me a new card...the new card had member since date on it (old one did not), however it did not have expresspay chip.  I called, she said she would overnight me one with expresspay chip - and voila I got one overnight with expresspay chip.  As previous posters have stated though, if you export your transactions or browse them or anything it will not list merchant name only say "expresspay" transation.  Because of this, it is possible (STRICTLY A GUESS ON MY PART) that these transactions do not count towards the selected categories of extra cash back or points due to merchants not listing.  THIS IS ONLY A GUESS ON MY PART.  I can only confirm it does not list names, a pain if you export to mint.com or something like that.

But anyway, end of rant, bottom line is it is optional on cards...will have no problem requesting it, but unless you specify otherwise it comes with no chip.

I think it still would...if you look at the transaction details on the Amex website it always shows the merchant (just hit the + next to the transaction).

Message 14 of 16
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I called today. The Rep had no idea what I was speaking about. He said I just activated your expresspay. Congratulations! I said wait how could you do that I have no chip inside my card. There is no express logo near my signature line. He said oh wait my system seems to be down can you call back later. Of course I couldn't. I got very busy at work and was unable to call back. Oh well lets see what they will say tomorrow when I call. I'm sure I'll get a different story.

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 15 of 16
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can confirm if you call they will send you new one with chip in it.  I recently upgraded my original BC to BCE, and they sent me a new card...the new card had member since date on it (old one did not), however it did not have expresspay chip.  I called, she said she would overnight me one with expresspay chip - and voila I got one overnight with expresspay chip.  As previous posters have stated though, if you export your transactions or browse them or anything it will not list merchant name only say "expresspay" transation.  Because of this, it is possible (STRICTLY A GUESS ON MY PART) that these transactions do not count towards the selected categories of extra cash back or points due to merchants not listing.  THIS IS ONLY A GUESS ON MY PART.  I can only confirm it does not list names, a pain if you export to mint.com or something like that.

But anyway, end of rant, bottom line is it is optional on cards...will have no problem requesting it, but unless you specify otherwise it comes with no chip.

I think it still would...if you look at the transaction details on the Amex website it always shows the merchant (just hit the + next to the transaction).

I can confirm that you still get the appropriate rewards category based on the merchant code.

I just sent the following email to Amex, we'll see what happens.

While I am still a satisfied American Express cardholder, I would like to bring to your attention an issue that needs to be addressed.

I, along with many others I have talked to, am unhappy with the way expresspay transactions appear on the billing statement. It says "expresspay on Blue" instead of the name of the merchant.

I understand that by going online and expanding the details on the transaction I can see where the card was used but that is tedious. When the account is downloaded to PDF, Excel, or CSV I have to click on "Include all additional Transaction Details" (I am aware I can save that preference) but I get a boatload of details I don't need just to see the merchant. Furthermore, when I download to Quicken, I don't even have the option of including the merchant name. This is unsatisfactory.

While I agree that the fact that a transaction was made via expresspay instead of swiping might be useful information to know for some people, it is secondary information and should never trump the name of the merchant. expresspay was designed to make things quicker and more convenient for the cardholder, but because of this issue it does quite the opposite.

Let me also call your attention to the expresspay FAQ on your website which states: Q: How will expresspay charges appear on my statement?
    A: These charges are easy to identify. They appear on a separate line with the name of the merchant followed by "expresspay from American Express".
This is not the case.

Will you please forward this message to the appropriate people so a decision can be made regarding this. I understand that like any other problem it will not be fixed overnight and will require some planning and computer programming if the change is approved.

Thank you for your time and attention,

LTomBerry

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.