Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Extended Warranty Claim

tag
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Extended Warranty Claim

I would like to share my experience with the AMEX Extended Warranty Claims department yesterday.

In February 2012 I bought a MacBook Pro.  A few days ago, the power supply stopped working.  It's been flaky for a while-- I'd have to unplug it from the wall, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in for it to continue charging the laptop.  There is another MBP in the household so when it completely stopped working I was able to just borrow the other power supply to charge, and it worked fine.

I decided to call AMEX since I'm under their 1-year extended warranty right now.  Bear in mind I have not yet even talked to Apple or gotten an official written estimate.  I was just calling to see if it might be covered.  The lady on the phone wasn't particularly pleasant, but she was helpful, and encouraged me to go ahead and file a claim.  Halfway through she wanted to know what troubleshooting I had done, how I knew it was the power supply and not the laptop, and whether I would be willing to get a written repair estimate if one is needed.  I provided those details, agreed to get an estimate if required, and she processed the claim.  I provided the retail cost of the replacement power cord -- $83 and some change with tax.

That was about 3:00 yesterday afternoon.  I woke up this morning with an e-mail stating that the claim had been approved and my card was being credited the $83.

Such a straightforward process!  This is my second claim under the various AMEX protection services -- the other was for a much smaller item about a year ago which was damaged shortly after purchase, and was also settled within 24 hours.

I wanted to share this experience because I came across other threads here that indicated a delay of a couple of weeks, and it's also widely understood that going through the process of getting a repair estimate is always necessary.  That's not my experience.

I'm quite happy with the way it was handled, and will stop by Best Buy this afternoon to pick up my new power supply!  Thanks, AMEX!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Extended Warranty Claim

I used the Return Protection benefit of my BCE card, and it was also very straightforward. I never expected to get a statement credit 2 days after filing a claim. I didn't even have to ship the item to them. It was almost TOO easy. Smiley Happy

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 3
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Extended Warranty Claim

What was the price for the item that you filed return protection on?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.