Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Fees...

tag
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Fees...

ibmrad7 wrote:

Actually Zync has the worst rewards. I think gift cards or Amazon credit is the only way to redeem MRE points. Am I missing something?

With Platinum you get MR First points which means when you redeem them for travel/hotel etc 20% of those points are credited back to your account.

Depends. Amazon generally have most items cheaper than buying them in a regular store (free shipping too). So one may loss some points transferring them over at amazon, but they still getting a item cheaper than a regular store. I say they balance out. The retail giftcards can be redeemed in 1:1 ratio (as far as I am aware), and I generally shop in a few places that Amex offers gift cards for. The Zync was geared for the younger generation.

Yes, the platinum has better redemption, but one has to justified the fee. I can't. I don't travel, and spend a messy 1.5k on disposable income (grocery, movies, entertainment, etc).

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 31 of 37
SCoach
Established Member

Yes, the platinum has better redemption, but one has to justified the fee. I can't. I don't travel, and spend a messy 1.5k on disposable income (grocery, movies, entertainment, etc).

I had a failure of my $1200 pressure washer that I'd bought for my new home.  Amex took care of that for me.  Annual fee was justified for the next 10 years.  Chase had not given me a CLI on my Freedom card ever.  And it was going to be a struggle for me buying the new items for my home.  Amex stepped right up and solved my issue.  As I told my father at the time, I'd be insane not to take the free warranty extensions as I was buying new washer/dryer, dishwasher, big screen TV, etc.  That was worth the AF to me alone.  Nevermind the concierge and all that other stuff.

Unlike many here I didn't arrive at Amex after holding numerous other cards and being educated in the credit market.  I'd held a Chase card since 1998 with no CLI and AmEx was first to my mailbox with a solid offer.  And I took it.  Had a CSP offer showed up instead, I might have gone a different direction.  

AmEx Platinum | AmEx Gold | AmEx Bluebird | CSP | Chase Freedom
Message 32 of 37
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

@SCoach wrote:

I had a failure of my $1200 pressure washer that I'd bought for my new home.  Amex took care of that for me.  Annual fee was justified for the next 10 years.  Chase had not given me a CLI on my Freedom card ever.  And it was going to be a struggle for me buying the new items for my home.  Amex stepped right up and solved my issue.  As I told my father at the time, I'd be insance not to take the free warranty extensions as I was buying new washer/dryer, dishwasher, big screen TV, etc.  That was worth the AF to me alone.  Nevermind the concierge and all that other stuff. Isn't purchase protection, or extended warranty a common perk in all their charge cards, or am I missing something special about the platinum? The concierge, okay, that's one perk. If that perk doesn't fit your lifestyle, then what's the point in having a platinum? 

Unlike many here I didn't arrive at Amex after holding numerous other cards and being educated in the credit market.  I'd held a Chase card since 1998 with no CLI and AmEx was first to my mailbox with a solid offer.  And I took it.  Had a CSP offer showed up instead, I might have gone a different direction.  

Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 33 of 37
SCoach
Established Member

Yes it is.  However, at the time this was unknown to me.  I knew nothing of any other Amex Cards other than the Green Card which my father had some 30 years ago.  So the Gold offer seemed quite generous to me.  I was not a platinum holder at the time, didn't know of it's existence, and didn't know of a Centurioun card.  In fact I was so ignorant of AmEx in general at the time, I assumed ALL their products were PIF.

The Platinum came later after I determined that would better fit my needs and spend (travel perks particularly).

While I cannot speak for anyone else, my desire to have the Platinum card is directly tied to travel.  I travel several times a year for pleasure, but with the nature of my job, I have to be available to travel on a moment's notice, and sometimes for an extended period of time.  Numerous cards could allow me to do that, but few with the customer service of AmEx, and few with the perks of the AmEx Platinum.  Frankly, I think the card makes little sense for those who don't travel much.  There are better cards out there for non-travelers.  

Isn't purchase protection, or extended warranty a common perk in all their charge cards, or am I missing something special about the platinum? The concierge, okay, that's one perk. If that perk doesn't fit your lifestyle, then what's the point in having a platinum? 

AmEx Platinum | AmEx Gold | AmEx Bluebird | CSP | Chase Freedom
Message 34 of 37
eviLution
Established Contributor

I see people paying stupid fees for First Premier and Credit One with bad credit. Just because I worked hard to get good credit it don't mean I'm gonna buy a high horse and get on it, and act like I'm too good to pay for fees to an awesome company.

I guess everyone is different though. Smiley Tongue

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 35 of 37
djrez4
Established Contributor

All Amex charge and credit cards provide purchase protection and extended warranty - even the no annual fee ones.

Message 36 of 37
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Thread is locked and under Moderator Review.

Thanks,

webhopper

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.