Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Financial Review Paranoia?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Financial Review Paranoia?

I don't really get the paranoia either. I was honest about the info on my application, so if they did FR me, I'd have no issues proving the accuracy of the info I submitted. Then again, would I bother? That's really the big question. Amex is by no means my favorite card/bank, and I have better cards already. So if they caught me on a bad day/week, I might just tell them to close the account. It really wouldn't hurt me one bit.

I mean, really. If they FR you, they FR you. It's then your choice to either comply with their request and submit the forms they want, or just refuse and have them close the account. Either way, it's not that big of a deal. I've had to deal with immigration paperwork, paperwork for the DNV and MEPS, security clearance filings and interviews, etc. A financial review in no way scares me. I just doubt I'd bother going through the hassle unless I really wanted to keep my card for some reason.

Message 11 of 40
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Ok Here's my problem with FR's and Amex. 1st haven't had one, hope I never do. They want to FR it is apparently legal so they are allowed. So please don't get mad at me bankruptcy people but..... I have seen many people post on here about Blacklisted or CO's and then getting a new account with Amex. So my problem is that they basically FR you "we don't trust you" but open up new accounts for people who haven't paid them is the past. Doesn't make sense to me. I honestly believe that financial problems could happen to anyone even me, and I am not saying you don't deserve a second chance I'm specifically talking about their business practices of not trusting people who pay on time every month. I would close both my accounts, I have plenty others. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 12 of 40
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.  

You've all pretty much echoed my own thoughts on the subject - that FR is no big deal if it does happen (as long as you can support what you've stated in your initial application), and it's apparently not as common as we all like to think.

Still waiting to hear if there is anyone who had a FR that did not seem to be appropriate/indicated, and if so, what were the details/outcome? 

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 13 of 40
dnice77
Regular Contributor

is the hard limit on your gold still there ?

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 40
dnice77
Regular Contributor

The only issue i can see witha  FR is this. My girl has a Gold, shes now a student so if she gets FRd in 2013 and they ask for 2012 tax info,she didnt make any money. she has a 812 True Fico and is amazing with her bills. The only blemish she had was she paid her gold from a closed account. Amex charged her a $25 fee, she paid the fee and the balance when she got the letter, still days before the balance was due. Or i have been reading lately about the change of income for credit, now they ask for personal income vrs household income. so if we were to get married i may have to add her as a AU. it would suck for a outstanding person to get a card canceled due to a life change for the good.

Starting Score: 617
Current Score: 744 Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 40
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@CK_Charles_Lover wrote:

Ok Here's my problem with FR's and Amex. 1st haven't had one, hope I never do. They want to FR it is apparently legal so they are allowed. So please don't get mad at me bankruptcy people but..... I have seen many people post on here about Blacklisted or CO's and then getting a new account with Amex. So my problem is that they basically FR you "we don't trust you" but open up new accounts for people who haven't paid them is the past. Doesn't make sense to me. I honestly believe that financial problems could happen to anyone even me, and I am not saying you don't deserve a second chance I'm specifically talking about their business practices of not trusting people who pay on time every month. I would close both my accounts, I have plenty others. 

Of course they don't trust you...you are borrowing money from them, so in a sense your account behavior dictates their ultimate profitability and shelf-life as a business.

To be honest, I'm more surprised when lenders DON'T FR their customers then when they do. AMEX is a premier CC lender. They didn't get there trusting that people are being honest on their disclosures, but by verifying EVERYTHING on demand.

I also agree with the growing consensus about MOST fears about FRs. People who fudge information to score an AMEX will forever walk around in fear of an FR, and I believe this to be why so many are scared stiff about an FR. Sure, some people are just sensitive to giving information out, but IMO you need to lose that fear if you expect to do business with the best CC lenders. They have every right to demand details related to your ability to pay. If you don't agree, lose your card and move on.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 16 of 40
2NE1
Established Contributor

So to my understanding... when AMEX FR you, do they ask for your weekly/monthly pay stubs or your last tax return info? or does this vary for each individual?
Message 17 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@2NE1

As with everything in the credit world what do we say........YMMV Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 40
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:
So to my understanding... when AMEX FR you, do they ask for your weekly/monthly pay stubs or your last tax return info? or does this vary for each individual?

From what I have seen, it varies.  But generally they ask for written permission to obtain a tax transcript from the IRS as opposed you you providing them tax transcript.  They might also request additional documents.  Generally speaking the process seems more intrusive than other CC companies and even some loan processes.  Typically, they will suddenly conduct a F/R which results in your card being frozen or extremely limited which is highly inconvienent.  The process may take a week or so and your card is on hold during this period.  This annoys a lot of people.  Also others have problems with the intrusivness of the process.  Just because I have nothing to hide, doesnt mean I want my credit card company having access to all sorts of personal information on me that is on the tax transcript.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 19 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are in the process with a FR. Please tell me it will end soon. AMEX called and said they received our form on 7/31....
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.