Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Financial Review Paranoia?

tag
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Financial Review Paranoia?

I don't know I have never been FR'd. Sorry. Would you mind telling us why they told you they are? Or why you think you are getting hit?

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 21 of 40
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Does it seem that Amex tends to only do FR's on charge cards? 

Has anyone been FR'd that has a regular CC with Amex like BCP, SPG, Hilton, TE?

I am asking for those that only have a credit card, not both (charge card+CC) with Amex. 

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know I have never been FR'd. Sorry. Would you mind telling us why they told you they are? Or why you think you are getting hit?

We got FR due to spending. I was using the card more than my DH and so we got the FR.

Message 23 of 40
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

im not paranoid, (and i don't believe they do this anymore), but it is a complicated process where you have to request a tax form that ends up costing you 57 dollars, and at least 2 to 4 weeks of not being able to use your card. that really stinks. its not worth it (the old way), unless you only have an amex with ALOT of unredeemed points (i think i am incorrect about that too). anyway i think now they only request your paystubs, so not only is it not so time consuming, and complicated, but not nearly as expensive (0 dollars rather than 57).

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scottwagnon wrote:

im not paranoid, (and i don't believe they do this anymore), but it is a complicated process where you have to request a tax form that ends up costing you 57 dollars, and at least 2 to 4 weeks of not being able to use your card. that really stinks. its not worth it (the old way), unless you only have an amex with ALOT of unredeemed points (i think i am incorrect about that too). anyway i think now they only request your paystubs, so not only is it not so time consuming, and complicated, but not nearly as expensive (0 dollars rather than 57).

Nope, you still have to fill out the IRS tax record release form.... They "say" on the email that it will take 5-7 business days upon receiving.

Message 25 of 40
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

to me FR is not worth my time. i don't care if i do, i will just move on. i have played with the spending tool several times requesting spending amounts well over my limit several times and nothing has happened. if they closed me i still have 8 other major cards to use from.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 26 of 40
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I do like the idea of using a F/R as excuse to cancel cards and get new signup bonuses and lock in my open dates in January for max backdating.  Also, basically duping a bunch of AMEX lines would do wonders for my AAoA.  So Amex can feel free to F/R me in December.  I'll get back to you in January Amex.  The benefits would make a F/R worth all the hassle.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 27 of 40
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@CRASHEM, I was reading your comment and I think I may be a little confused or maybe I'm just mis-informed Smiley Happy if you don't mind, could you tell me how dumping a bunch of backdated AMEX lines would help your AAOA? I just want to make sure I have right info on everything

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 28 of 40
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

@gettnthere wrote:
@Crashem, I was reading your comment and I think I may be a little confused or maybe I'm just mis-informed Smiley Happy if you don't mind, could you tell me how dumping a bunch of backdated AMEX lines would help your AAOA? I just want to make sure I have right info on everything

If I understand him correctly, if I were to cancel my three personal cards as a result of a F/R, then agree to undergo the F/R in January after applying for new cards, assuming they approved me I would end up with an improved AAoA as well as the sign on bonuses. All new accounts would be backdated while my closed accounts would still report.

Similar to this concept, I just closed my Gold card after opening my Platinum instead of doing a PC. I gained AAoA as well as the sign on bonus. Only cost was a HP on EX.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 29 of 40
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You "should" not get another sign on bonus for the same card if you decide to close it because of an FR.  YMMV.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.