Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Flagged for FR

tag
msheresy
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Flagged for FR

I'm not saying that pulling me for a FR is terribly bad because I understand that they have to protect their end but.....I had the card activated for 26 hours before I was flagged. I just think that things could of been reviewed before approval. It is just frustrating to know that I now have to wait and see if they deem me fit to hold their card in my wallet. Also, I wasn't buying the phone, I had my same phone/number for almost 5 years, I was paying the bill with their online bill pay. If for some reason I was flagged for that, maybe I should of told them where they could put their card rather than complying with the FR. I'm sure I will have some regrets but the middle of next week. I certainly hope not though.
Message 51 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, it's not like he actiavated the card and then ran out and bought a $1000.00 plasma TV.

On top of that, what does he mean by our sophistication level?

This board helps TONS of people re-build there credit and realize that bad credit today does not mean a life time of denials. If helping people who are down on their luck improve their lives makes me unsophisticated, then I'll take that as a compliment.
Message 52 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

Watchmann wrote:
There is a reason AMEX didn't get into trouble like a lot of the banks did over the last year or so, part of it is a high standard of credit issuance. 

actually i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that they did take some kind of loss as well.
Message 53 of 96
SonorityGenius
Established Contributor

Yes - Amex wrote down 1 billion in bad debt and tightened their lending practices.. and I think the stock has tumbled recently too..

Wheres that moneywatch article I had bookmarked!

Sonority needs a new laptop (Here I come, HSBC 2%?!!!!!!!!!!!!)

---someBODY sTOp ME ! ! ! lol

Message 54 of 96
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

The only grip I have with the FR deal is that if they get iffy, it should occur as part of the activation process, as you can't use it without activating it anyway. Problem solved, everyone wins.

I think it is MV who said he won't even use his Amex in public.
Here we go again...
Message 55 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:
The only grip I have with the FR deal is that if they get iffy, it should occur as part of the activation process, as you can't use it without activating it anyway. Problem solved, everyone wins.

Exactly, it's not the fact that they didn't want to extend him the credit, it's the fact that they said they would and then pulled the rug out from under his feet. Imagine had he been out on a date at a fancy restaurant and they came back and told him his card was denied... imagine the embarrassment! It's just wrong if you ask me.
Message 56 of 96
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

Exactly, it's not the fact that they didn't want to extend him the credit, it's the fact that they said they would and then pulled the rug out from under his feet. Imagine had he been out on a date at a fancy restaurant and they came back and told him his card was denied... imagine the embarrassment! It's just wrong if you ask me.

I agree. Fortunately I am a habitual online balance checker, and was able to see my account was frozen in the morning, instead of the 3 DAYS it took to get the letter in the mail informing me the same.

They could have called. That's kind of a big deal.
Here we go again...
Message 57 of 96
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

When you get an AMEX card be careful with it and don't try to game them right off the bat, they are more sophisticated than the people on this board. 

How exactly is charging $100 on a $1K CL trying to "game them right off the bat?"

Wow, I totally agree. How is using 10% of a card's limit "gaming" them?

I am waiting for a $2000.00 limit Delta Sky Miles card in the mail. You know what, after reading these posts I would be too afraid to ever use the card out anywhere. Checking the website every morning is good...if you remember...but who's to say they don't do it later in the day after you have checked that morning. Walk into a store (or on a date) try to use it...DECLINED. Nice. Sounds wonderful.

I think I will just use the card once a month for a $2.99 used DVD on Amazon or something...then put it back in the sock drawer. The limit will look nice and the American Express name might look good on my credit reports.....no? Other than that, I really have no need for such a worrisome card. I applied for it before I found out about all this nonsense....I should have been reading more Amex posts!

If they want to FR me or cancel me and take their limit back for teeny tiny usage....I have my speech ready: "SEE YA!"
Message 58 of 96
smallfry
Senior Contributor

The bottom line for me is this. I don't mind supplying income documentation to a credit union or a bank before they give me a credit card. To shut someone's card down after a couple of days is insane business practices. What did they think you were going to do with their card? Not use it? I'm supposed to worry about where I make my first purchase? Gotta be Starbuck's? And please don't tell me about their stringent lending criteria either. Lately I have seen people getting approvals with low to mid 600 FICO scores and income well under 50K. But they're special aren't they? Smiley Happy
Message 59 of 96
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Just as a note to many of the posters up above: I'm reasonably sure that OP is a she, not a he. Note the screen name (msheresy) and avatar.

I don't know about OP, but I'm always amused when someone thinks I'm a he. Smiley Wink

BTW, OP, I didn't mean that it was awful of you to somehow involve your card with a cell-phone issue, and I now see what you meant. It just set a tiny light flickering in my over-crowded mind, and it turns out that it was on a post by Fretless Mayhem. Anyway, I agree, even if it had been used to buy a half-dozen Blackberries, that would have been a ridiculous trigger.

We're like a TV investigation show, examining the body of AmEx FR victims, trying to find clues and ties to previous victims! CSI: myFICO, maybe. (Can I be whats-her-name, the impossibly thin Greek actress on the CSI:NY version, with the crazy curly hair?)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 60 of 96
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.