Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Airline Credit

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold Airline Credit

It’s not like they ever wanted people to use the airline credit for gift cards. That was a loophole, plain and simple, that has now been closed.

I’d be careful trying to pull any other loophole tricks honestly. As mentioned above with the example of self referrals, Amex isn’t playing around these days with people who they feel abuse the system.

If you truly can’t see using the credit organically, I would just close the card if you can’t get a retention offer that makes sense.
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree that you should check to see if gold really make sense if the airline fee is not usable for you. If its not that different from the next best, then there is less of a point of keeping it.

Regarding the new gc trick, first what i described is literally how I organically book flight. I use a bunch of GC and pay remainder with credit card. Reason being I can get GC at at least 10% discount. If Amex wants to reimburse it, great, if not, thats fine too. My grocery and restaurant spending does justify gold even if the airline fee is not used.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fee just hit as well and I was trying to determine whether or not I was going to keep the card. I do spend quite a bit on groceries and dining out but I was focusing on the fact that I couldn't get full use out of the $100 airline credit. I do fully utilize the $10 a month dining credit and I also factored in the several Amex Offers I have taken advantage of in the past year and realized that the card is absolutely a keeper for me even if I don't utilize the airline credit.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last year and this year I purchased gift cards to get the total below $100 and that has triggered the credit for me, but as others have said the gift card was never allowed it was just a known loophole. I don’t want to sound rude and not implying you are this in any way, if someone can’t use the credit for what they intend it for or if buying gift cards to get the flight below $100 to trigger the credit seems too risky, this card was probably never meant for that person in the first place.
I would love it to be a general $100 like CSR, but it’s not and it still works for me.
Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pros of CSR compared to AMEX Gold: 1) CSR has the $300 travel credit without any restriction 2) Primary rental coverage 3) Priority pass ( this is huge since I've been to 10+ lounges in the last 6 months as my wife and I took two months to travel internationally and this perk has saved us hundreds in food and the ability to shower is nice) 4) CSR and Gold both have purchase protection and roadside assistance 5) I usually travel to Europe where AMEX isn't as prevalent as MC/Visa 6)I believe you only earn MR on domestic purchases, so no reason to spend international 7) If I'm paying two fees $525 and $250, why not just cut the $250 out and focus on UR spend. My goal is to pool my points into one issuer. The end goal is to downgrade my CSR to a CFU and re-apply for CSR, that way I have a 1.5x card plus a travel card that my wife and I can pool all spend with. In my first year with Gold, I have already recouped the fee and still have an outstanding $100 airline credit that I need to use asap. The card made sense when I could cash out for AA/Delta GC's, but now I just don't see a reason to pay $250/year and split my points into UR and MR.

In the end, I love AMEX more than Chase, they are extremely focused on customer service and their website is best in class. I'm sure if Chase ever does something to piss me off I'll just switch over to the Amex Plat. solely for customer service and eat part of the fee.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do earn MR on any spending, domestic or international, gold does earn 4x MR at international restaurants, although amex acceptance rate is visibly lower than visa/mc overseas.

There is something to be said about diversifying your points, keeping all your points in one basket is at greater risk, when the lender decideds to devalue or make changes to their program.

Message 16 of 25
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pros of CSR compared to AMEX Gold: 1) CSR has the $300 travel credit without any restriction 2) Primary rental coverage 3) Priority pass ( this is huge since I've been to 10+ lounges in the last 6 months as my wife and I took two months to travel internationally and this perk has saved us hundreds in food and the ability to shower is nice) 4) CSR and Gold both have purchase protection and roadside assistance 5) I usually travel to Europe where AMEX isn't as prevalent as MC/Visa 6)I believe you only earn MR on domestic purchases, so no reason to spend international 7) If I'm paying two fees $525 and $250, why not just cut the $250 out and focus on UR spend. My goal is to pool my points into one issuer. The end goal is to downgrade my CSR to a CFU and re-apply for CSR, that way I have a 1.5x card plus a travel card that my wife and I can pool all spend with. In my first year with Gold, I have already recouped the fee and still have an outstanding $100 airline credit that I need to use asap. The card made sense when I could cash out for AA/Delta GC's, but now I just don't see a reason to pay $250/year and split my points into UR and MR.

In the end, I love AMEX more than Chase, they are extremely focused on customer service and their website is best in class. I'm sure if Chase ever does something to piss me off I'll just switch over to the Amex Plat. solely for customer service and eat part of the fee.

Different strokes for different folks. I hate their website, because there's no overview page listing accounts and balances. I waste more time on Amex website than any other.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 17 of 25
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Last year and this year I purchased gift cards to get the total below $100 and that has triggered the credit for me, but as others have said the gift card was never allowed it was just a known loophole. I don’t want to sound rude and not implying you are this in any way, if someone can’t use the credit for what they intend it for or if buying gift cards to get the flight below $100 to trigger the credit seems too risky, this card was probably never meant for that person in the first place.
I would love it to be a general $100 like CSR, but it’s not and it still works for me.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Since I have elite status with Delta and only fly with them and their partners, there really is no case where I can actually organically use the airline credits on Gold or Platinum.  I'm exempt from literally every charge that it covers, unless for some reason was flying in Main Cabin and used it to purchase drinks and snacks.  But the other credits, perks, elevated earnings on some categories, and most importantly Amex Offers, more than offset the annual fees.  But certainly if someone is counting on the airline credit to get to break-even on these charge cards, it may not be a good fit.

Message 18 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.  Since I have elite status with Delta and only fly with them and their partners, there really is no case where I can actually organically use the airline credits on Gold or Platinum.  I'm exempt from literally every charge that it covers, unless for some reason was flying in Main Cabin and used it to purchase drinks and snacks.  But the other credits, perks, elevated earnings on some categories, and most importantly Amex Offers, more than offset the annual fees.  But certainly if someone is counting on the airline credit to get to break-even on these charge cards, it may not be a good fit.

The one situation I am expecting to use the Platinum airline credit is perhaps travelling with DGF. The changes in 2020 to Delta AMEX cards may lead me to cancel the Reserve, or at least downgrade it. In that situation, on the few trips we take with Delta, using the AMEX Platinum to get a guest in the Delta SkyClub would be a use of the airline credit, on that card at least. Yeah, it's not as ideal as with a discounted Delta Reserve or Delta Platinum card holder, but then I'm potentially not paying those Delta AMEX card fees, where there is a lot of overlap to AMEX Platinum. The Platinume $200 Airline credit is "sunk cost" and so getting it back through "paying" for the guest access is net zero, at the end of the day.

With the Gold, I may set that up with a different airline, for the few times I may take Alaska, or even United.

Just because the gift card trick doesn't work, doesn't mean the AMEX Airline Fee credit is a total waste. For an infrequent traveller who can plan the airline, it covers bag fees at the least, so seems to me that is worthwhile.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Just because the gift card trick doesn't work, doesn't mean the AMEX Airline Fee credit is a total waste. For an infrequent traveller who can plan the airline, it covers bag fees at the least, so seems to me that is worthwhile.

The problem is that unless you check 4 bags a year or more, you're still better off just paying for checking the bag. You're basically prepaying for $100 in incidental airline expenses throughout the year. For a casual traveler, it's hard to assume you are going to really spend that without forcing it, which defeats the purpose of the "credit".

The card certainly has value for a subset of the population, but if you are an infrequent/casual traveler it may be hard to really maximize any of it and you could be better off with a different product. 

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.