Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Card - Waive Annual Fee?

tag
98Supra
Established Member

AMEX Gold Card - Waive Annual Fee?

Just got the gold card and they billed the annual fee within the first statement. Is there anyway to waive that fee? I was told by one rep it's 
"non-negotiable," but really doubt it.

I have great history with AMEX but would like to know if anyone has had any success in getting it waived on a new card?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Gold Card - Waive Annual Fee?

Unfortunately, no. So, the agent is correct.

There were some rare, targeted offers this year floating around with the AF waived for the first year, but the current public offer doesn't have the AF waived.
Message 2 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@98Supra wrote:

Just got the gold card and they billed the annual fee within the first statement. Is there anyway to waive that fee? I was told by one rep it's 
"non-negotiable," but really doubt it.

I have great history with AMEX but would like to know if anyone has had any success in getting it waived on a new card?

I have to ask...so you applied fully knowing there was AF, but were hoping you'd get them to waive it after the approval? 

Message 3 of 12
98Supra
Established Member

No, I don't mind paying it. Just didn't know it was billed the first year, all my other cards bill it on the second year. 

To first post, thank you for the info, guess I will just pay it.

Message 4 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta read the terms when signing up..  Probably could cancel it if you dont want to pay it if you just got it and get a refund, but certainly won't help a relationship you might want in the future with AMEX.. Best of luck either way how you decide to move forward.  I got the gold card recently again with no sign up bonus as have had it before, but was worth it with the restructuring of their rewards.  As always everyones scenarios vary.

Message 5 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The fee is what it is, and isn't negotiable. There have been offers in the past with first year waived, but unless you apply under a specific offer, the fee is charged usually on the first statement.

Of course if you truly don't want to pay the fee, you could cancel the card and (I think) get a refund, but you run the risk of souring your history with Amex. So I would just pay it and enjoy the benefits, try it out for a year, and if it doesn't make sense, cancel at that time.

I don't know specifics with the Gold product, but banks will sometimes give retention offers to help offset a fee, but this would not be immediately after approval, more like after a year when the fee comes due again.

Message 6 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

There have been a few post-update retention offers, but they're uncommon. Typically customers will be earning plenty of points without one.

Also, asking for one offer after 2 or 3 years is a more modest request than asking for one after one year. Amex doesn't like to make them an annual thing and will limit the frequency unless someone is putting 6+ figures onto a Platinum or something.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 7 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Been a continuous Gold Card member since 1980, I've asked various times about waiving the fee, they won't do it.  That's their policy.

Message 8 of 12
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@98Supra wrote:

No, I don't mind paying it. Just didn't know it was billed the first year, all my other cards bill it on the second year. 

To first post, thank you for the info, guess I will just pay it.

Many cards offer the first year free, but not this one.

As a general rule, if the fee is above $100, it's not waived the first year.  Make sure you check the terms when you apply.  They're usually pretty clear about that up front.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all on you OP. Amex makes it very clear what the fee is and when it is applied. You decided to app for it.

That being said, IF you feel you're a extremely valuable client, you can probably talk to a manager. But you'd have to be spending BIG bucks to get their attention.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.