Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Card vs EDP Maximizing Rewards - Detail

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Gold Card vs EDP Maximizing Rewards - Detail

I'd argue that using the dining credit wouldn't be a huge issue for most, especially with Grubhub, which you can even forgo extra charges by just picking up orders anyways. Granted I'm lazy and have been a takeout/deliver kind of guy since college lol... but I'm sure most people could potentially take full advantage of this- unless you don't have grubhub/cheesecake/shakeshack etc. in your area, or just aren't a foodie and don't like nice things Smiley LOL

Message 41 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
Where does your Platinum fit in your AF calculations? Are you using the perks?
5x MR for airlines or hotel bookings?

Yes, i do use all the perks on the Platinum, lounges is the #1 use.  As for airline/hotel bookings, i do use it when i dont have miles/hotel points available to book.  

Message 42 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Lots of reading, I really appreciate everyone's time. With that said, Im still not sure if I should get it or not lol, will need to do more research.

I'm leaning towards not getting the Gold, but would love to have another $100/year travel credit. All my MRs go to Delta Skymiles, it's all we fly on.

I'm thinking on paying everything with EDP and Gold for groceries and restaurants. I need to do more math and figure out if with a $30/year increase in AF will be worth it or make a difference.

EDP AF $95
Gold $250-$100-$120=$30

$125/year AF on both

Close BCP, Venture, or Delta gold and there is more than enough AF savings.  There is really no reason to have BCP if you are going the MR route.

Yes, that is the plan.  The BCP AF is due in June/2019.  My wife carries is as AU...but now that i think about it, i still should close it and add her as AU on the EDP.

I wont close the Venture, is my highest limit and in fact the non-AF.  I'm keeping the Delta Gold so that i can move the credit line to my other AMEX cards after the year anniversary. 

Message 43 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Again, the dining credit is very limited, and Delta is one of the worst MR partners, due to the pathetic value of skypesos. I knew, since I fly delta all the time.

Honestly, i have a feeling you really want the gold card. if so, just go ahead. Smiley Very Happy

LOL, i do want it...but i want to make sure it makes sense.

Message 44 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

If it were me I would be careful valuing the dining credit at a full $120. It seems pretty unlikely you'd really get $120 out of it without forcing spend on the (few) specific merchants, which will cost you more than you "gain" with the credit. I think it's a very rare person who is organically going to get everything out of that credit.

All this little credits are designed to entice (probably extra) spend and make the card seem more worthwhile. You will feel like you have to spend to get your money's worth from the credit. In your case OP I think it will just be diluting your spend a lot and the gain wouldn't likely be justified.

You bring up a really good point here...i need to see what these only "merchants" are.  We do dine a lot, but need to see if these are included...sounds like they are not.

Message 45 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd argue that using the dining credit wouldn't be a huge issue for most, especially with Grubhub, which you can even forgo extra charges by just picking up orders anyways. Granted I'm lazy and have been a takeout/deliver kind of guy since college lol... but I'm sure most people could potentially take full advantage of this- unless you don't have grubhub/cheesecake/shakeshack etc. in your area, or just aren't a foodie and don't like nice things Smiley LOL

LOL nice!! yes, i do have these places in my area, I live in San Diego. I actually do have those apps on my phone right now because i order from home when i dont feel like cooking and my 10 year old wants food lol.  I use Uber eats, door dash and grubhub).

Message 46 of 62
Anonymous
Not applicable

drum roll please....

Participating partners are Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations.

grubhub is a overpriced mess, I wouldn't go any of other places just  for my own health, lol

Message 47 of 62
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

drum roll please....

Participating partners are Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House and participating Shake Shack locations.

grubhub is a overpriced mess, I wouldn't go any of other places just  for my own health, lol

And Seamless is simply Grubhub under a different name (with a few cosmetic differences in the app).

Same restaurants, same menus, same prices, same fees.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 48 of 62
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

drum roll please....

And Seamless is simply Grubhub under a different name (with a few cosmetic differences in the app).

Same restaurants, same menus, same prices, same fees.

I goto shake shack at least once a month so its easy for me to be able to use my dining credit, but I could see for people not living on east coast who don't have shake shack it could be annoying. Grub hub is also pretty popular here as well more popular than doordash or uber eats so thats definately another option. The dining credit can usually cover the fees for delivery and processing fee 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 49 of 62
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

drum roll please....

Uhh, Ruth Chris and Cheescake Factory.......Plenty of healthy options.  

You must also be one of those closet McD closet eaters......I know I sneak a Big Mac in once a month.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 50 of 62
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.