Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold Rewards APPROVED.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Gold Rewards APPROVED.

@tray wrote:

Congratulations on your new card, although you will not be able to do a product change with this card, if you want a no annual fee card you have to do another app another inquiry with Amex.  I have the premier gold card and I want the blue card but holding off because of having to do another app.

I don't know if they would allow me to apply for another card as my salary is kinda low. If I applied for another card they might see it as a risk, might just have too bite the bullet after the first year and take another inquiry after I close the Gold.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tengtengvn wrote:

Don't put to much on the card otherwise they'll chase you with their famous AMEX credit review.

Starbucks, Panera Bread ONLYSmiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

Wait six months to apply for any other Amex card. Don't charge too much for the first three months. They might close your account.

Ron.

Message 13 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Congratulations! I started with the Gold Rewards, too. Never a problem with it. I called a fair bit the first month or so, asking if I could use it at such-and-such, until they gently told me that I could go be a grown-up.

I don't know about the Starbucks bit, although there is evidence that it makes them happy, I guess. I used mine at first in traditional AmEx territory --restaurants, hotels, airlines, nice Stuff that could use the consumer protection.

I've also used it at Walmart and lived to tell the tale, so there you go. That was after I'd been with them for a year and changed to a Blue, to duck the annual fee.

While your income is still in the lower stages, keep enough in savings so that come hell or high water, you can pay your bill without any trouble. And if they offer you the chance to pay over time, ignore it. AmEx rarely forgets anything, ever, and even if you might not be using it for round-the-world travel now, you'll be happy to have that member since 2010 date in another 20 years.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 19
moonman
Frequent Contributor

Amex is really pushing the preferred rewards gold card because I just received my third pre approval in two weeks....thanks but no thanks i do not like walking on eggshellsSmiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Congratulations! I started with the Gold Rewards, too. Never a problem with it. I called a fair bit the first month or so, asking if I could use it at such-and-such, until they gently told me that I could go be a grown-up.

I don't know about the Starbucks bit, although there is evidence that it makes them happy, I guess. I used mine at first in traditional AmEx territory --restaurants, hotels, airlines, nice Stuff that could use the consumer protection.

I've also used it at Walmart and lived to tell the tale, so there you go. That was after I'd been with them for a year and changed to a Blue, to duck the annual fee.

While your income is still in the lower stages, keep enough in savings so that come hell or high water, you can pay your bill without any trouble. And if they offer you the chance to pay over time, ignore it. AmEx rarely forgets anything, ever, and even if you might not be using it for round-the-world travel now, you'll be happy to have that member since 2010 date in another 20 years.

I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 19
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, the mom in me keeps coming out, I'm afraid! Smiley Very Happy Congrats again.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@moonman wrote:

Amex is really pushing the preferred rewards gold card because I just received my third pre approval in two weeks....thanks but no thanks i do not like walking on eggshellsSmiley Very Happy

I know lol! My average age of accounts is only 7 months and I'm pre-selected for it and the green card too. Of course I won't be applying anytime soon.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Wink Thank you...and it's quite alright, I don't mind.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

lol, the mom in me keeps coming out, I'm afraid! Smiley Very Happy Congrats again.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.