Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold or Platinum?

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold or Platinum?

Gold and Platinum are 2 different cards.

Gold is more for normal stuff - groceries, dining.

Plat is more for travel - airlines, hotels.

They should make plat do everything gold does plus travel.

Gold for me since I don't travel much.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 11 of 12
h2oeng
Contributor

Re: AMEX Gold or Platinum?

I've got the Plat and the BCE cards.  My wife is a flight attendant so we do travel a bit but don't put the flights or typically the rooms on the Plat card (most flights are fee or very minimal if overseas & we get much better crew rates on rooms than the AMEX Portal).  I have all but about $200 of the AF ($870 with 2 AU's) covered with some of the "coupons" offered.  We fly exclusively Delta so access to the Sky Lounge will well worth $200 a year.  I plan on picking up a Gold card this fall.  That will take the place of the BCE card for groceries and dining out once I lose my x10 points on the Plat for restaurants.  Plus, I'll pick up 75k MR points on the Gold after the spend requirements & a 20% statement credit for our restaurant spend for the first 12 months.  That alone will cover the first year AF on the Gold card.  You just need to run the numbers to see what works for you.   

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.