Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold still worth it?

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Gold still worth it?

So I'll start by saying I love AMEX, their customer service has been agreat.

However, I am also a CSR holder and am struggling to realize the value of my Gold now that AA gift cards no longer work for credit and using Grubhub every month really doesn't save money to use the dining credit. Delta maybe? 

Is anyone else in this boat as a CSR and Gold holder that still sees value in holding both? 

The travel benefits of CSR far outweigh the Gold and even the plat IMO.

Thanks folks!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 73
72 REPLIES 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Gold still worth it?

I just got a CSP, I still feel the amex gold is a keeper. I'll see after the first year of having the CSP how it turns out. 

Message 2 of 73
NRB525
Super Contributor

The Gold airline credit is intended for bag fees, snacks/food on the plane and other incidentals. If you travel, the bulk of the $100 Credit might be usable that way.

The Delta Gold gives you free checked bag, so it’s another view to a use of the AF, if you fly Delta regularly.

But if you really don’t travel much, the Gold can be more AF than is justified. The next question is whether the value as a grocery card makes the Gold something to consider.

The Gold and CSR can play well together if you transfer to a common airline like BA, but again, if not much travel then too many travel cards are too much.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the gold. I like it. I spend enough in groceries and restaurants that I would probably be ahead compared to a 2% card even with no credits...

I have been buying southwest gift cards and they still work. I transfer points for delta but Delta and AA always seem more expensive with cash. Also, southwest can be cancelled and used for a different flight with no cancelation fees.

For me, I definitely order a lot of food but grubhub here SUCKS! I only use them for my gold credit once a month. Uber eats will get to my house in 20 mins. Same restaurant on grubhub is 50+ minutes. Last month I ordered something really complicated: a bucket of chicken from a KFC 5 minutes away. It was 3 HOURS later it finally arrived!!! I could have gone to grocery store, breaded and fried my own chicken!!

I'm going to do cheesecake factory next month. I meant to this month but I forgot on my sisters birthday and then it just got away from me. For me, if grubhub would be as good as Uber Eats I'd consider this a slam dunk. But, with their unreliability, it feels a little forced. I'd rather buy from Uber Eats or bite squad...

So... Yes. If you're in the correct demographic for the card to work for you... Its totally worth it.

Figure out what perks the gold comes with that another Amex with no AF doesn't have. I know there's upgraded roadside assistance. Decide which credits are natural spending for you and which seem forced.

Subtract the natural expenses from the AF. this portion is free. You were going to spend that much anyway. Take whatever is left and that is your real fee.

Take your next best card in the categories you spend on the card and figure out your yearly spending in those categories. Determine if your spending justifies the rest of the cost.

After all that, think about the perks I mentioned first. Do you pay for aaa, can you cancel aaa and be satisfied with the roadside limitations on gold? Do the other perks justify whatever the remaining balance is?

That's how you determine if you're getting value out of the card.
Message 4 of 73
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think that if you will not organically be able to make use of the dining and/or travel credits, it really is a hard sell with the AF, especially when you have other cards you want to spend on and most of the MR point redemptions are best for travel. I think it's best to pick an ecosystem and stick to it. In your case, if the CSR / UR points are more valuable, there's not much reason in paying $250 a year for the Gold if you aren't getting use out of the various credits. To me it doesn't make sense to force spend just to make back some of the AF when you could just get rid of entirely if it isn't working for you.

Message 5 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, it’s probably not worth it anymore. I don’t have much grocery spend but I do spend around 300 a month in dining through the gold though.

I love the earning potential but I hate how restrictive the credits are especially the dining one. Not to mention, AA gift cards no longer triggering credit which is by far my preferred airline. I am close to an delta hub as well but they are always much more expensive than AA for the routes I fly.

I’m probably going to move my dining spend to either the Premier or Prestige if I do PC to it going forward. I have the Savor but at this point I really prefer points over cash back.
Message 6 of 73
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

For me CIP+Gold is a better combination , since i wouldn't use CSR travel credits and 1.5 redemption when using chase travel site or whatever its called. Even though when I had the CSR i was able to use travel credits for fuel surcharges on one of my flights. CIP gets 3x travel just like CSR does with a lot less AF. It really comes down to how much you spend eating out , travel , and groceries. I do like that CIP has cell phone insurance and 3x for cell , tv , internet etc. Its pretty minor though since my bills for those aren't all that much.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 73
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I'm commited to mine by my own choice until August of 2020 (1 year free trial + one year at $195 hopefully AF) then I'll decide at that point if it's a keeper. I have been burning the heck out of it with 4x dinning and groceries and sometimes 2x gas (until October)....plus I eat lunch at Cheesecake Factory once a month for about $5 to $7 after the dinning credit. Between my "over" usage on this card and SPG biz--it's probably the only reason the CL on my BCE hasn't been chopped yet Smiley Very Happy

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 8 of 73
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the gold. I like it. I spend enough in groceries and restaurants that I would probably be ahead compared to a 2% card even with no credits...

I have been buying southwest gift cards and they still work. I transfer points for delta but Delta and AA always seem more expensive with cash. Also, southwest can be cancelled and used for a different flight with no cancelation fees.

For me, I definitely order a lot of food but grubhub here SUCKS! I only use them for my gold credit once a month. Uber eats will get to my house in 20 mins. Same restaurant on grubhub is 50+ minutes. Last month I ordered something really complicated: a bucket of chicken from a KFC 5 minutes away. It was 3 HOURS later it finally arrived!!! I could have gone to grocery store, breaded and fried my own chicken!!

I'm going to do cheesecake factory next month. I meant to this month but I forgot on my sisters birthday and then it just got away from me. For me, if grubhub would be as good as Uber Eats I'd consider this a slam dunk. But, with their unreliability, it feels a little forced. I'd rather buy from Uber Eats or bite squad...

So... Yes. If you're in the correct demographic for the card to work for you... Its totally worth it.

Figure out what perks the gold comes with that another Amex with no AF doesn't have. I know there's upgraded roadside assistance. Decide which credits are natural spending for you and which seem forced.

Subtract the natural expenses from the AF. this portion is free. You were going to spend that much anyway. Take whatever is left and that is your real fee.

Take your next best card in the categories you spend on the card and figure out your yearly spending in those categories. Determine if your spending justifies the rest of the cost.

After all that, think about the perks I mentioned first. Do you pay for aaa, can you cancel aaa and be satisfied with the roadside limitations on gold? Do the other perks justify whatever the remaining balance is?

That's how you determine if you're getting value out of the card.

Thanks for the throught out response!

You;re right on many accounts, Grubhub is terrible and 10$ credit basically covers the delivery fee if most restaurants by me.

The CSR covers just about all of the other "perks" such as roadside and travel delay insurace far better than Gold, and even Plat in some instances.

I really want to love this card, just struggling to find a purpose.

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 9 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like others have said, good card but depends on your usage.

I have good usage for all the credits and spending categories, so I'm likely about to open both the amex gold & plat. The CSR and citi  prestige were other considerations for me, but I'm willing to open 2 cards at the thet moment and nothing really pairs well with the CSR or Prestige for me.

WIth the CSR already, it'd be hard to justify something with matching categories and an AF. If you're looking for another card to expand your rewards, it might be best to open a chase unlimited, if you don't have it already. 1.5% back on anything, but you can transfer that to your CSR and redeem them for 1.5x points in travel (making your 1.5 more like 2.25). Has no AF. And your first year it is a 3% card (so 4.5 after transferring!).

Side note: aren't you guys able to just place an order through Grub Hub for pick up? That would eliminate most fees and give your credits more value. 

Message 10 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.