Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Gold still worth it?

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX Gold still worth it?

@Anonymous wrote:

Side note: aren't you guys able to just place an order through Grub Hub for pick up? That would eliminate most fees and give your credits more value. 

+1

This is exactly what I do. 

In my case once a month I treat myself to a dozen chocolate chip cookies from The Great American Cookie Company at the mall.  Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 73
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

I've been a continuous Gold Card holder since 1980 so it's part of my life.  I go to either Ruth's Chris or Shake Shack each month so that is $120 saved, I've never had any issue buying anything anywhere in the world (sometimes over $10-15k) with NO foreign transaction fee, so it works for me.  Plus it gives you extended warranties on purchases.....I've bought high end audio gear and expensive watches that come with 3-5 year warranties so AMEX extends them by 2 years, valuable if an issue crops up after the manufacturers warranty expires.  I'm never impressed with how the card looks (metal rose gold version) but I've had several comments from overseas use saying they haven't see one before.  It's all good.

Message 12 of 73
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Like others have said, good card but depends on your usage.

I have good usage for all the credits and spending categories, so I'm likely about to open both the amex gold & plat. The CSR and citi  prestige were other considerations for me, but I'm willing to open 2 cards at the thet moment and nothing really pairs well with the CSR or Prestige for me.

WIth the CSR already, it'd be hard to justify something with matching categories and an AF. If you're looking for another card to expand your rewards, it might be best to open a chase unlimited, if you don't have it already. 1.5% back on anything, but you can transfer that to your CSR and redeem them for 1.5x points in travel (making your 1.5 more like 2.25). Has no AF. And your first year it is a 3% card (so 4.5 after transferring!).

Side note: aren't you guys able to just place an order through Grub Hub for pick up? That would eliminate most fees and give your credits more value. 

Thanks for the tip, I honestly had no idea as I rarely use it anyway. That will definitely help! Though it looks like there isn't many restaurants with them nearby. I'll find a way. Thanks!!

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 13 of 73
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

waking up, drinking coffee....been with both chase and amex for over 4 decades.  I cannot imagine paying a af for most ax cards.  I have a bgr @ $175 but that gets absorbed by the $ 1500 I get back yearly from dell purchases.  I am an au on a platinum and I used it for uber around la and the airfrance lounges at cdg 2x a year.  5x air is handy.  will use it outbound @lax when they open. ed and bbp sit in a drawer.  I have 8 chase cards and I use them all, love paying the af for the csr, that is my goto card when I dont use one of the inks.  I don't factor customer service much as I seldom interface with them.  I few chase as business all the way, they have been supremely helpful at times for both myself and friends, getting shutdowns turned around, adjusting opening limits, etc.  amex is friendly but ineffective in my experence, I think they are idiots.  where I do spend time is on portals and amex shows that underneat it all they are still a charge card company that does things in batch.  one cannot even get a rolling balance with pendings in real time.  their portal sucks in every way possible.  chase on the other hand...that is my pre-coffee review lol

jmp portal.PNG

Message 14 of 73
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

I've been a continuous Gold Card holder since 1980 so it's part of my life.  I go to either Ruth's Chris or Shake Shack each month so that is $120 saved, I've never had any issue buying anything anywhere in the world (sometimes over $10-15k) with NO foreign transaction fee, so it works for me.  Plus it gives you extended warranties on purchases.....I've bought high end audio gear and expensive watches that come with 3-5 year warranties so AMEX extends them by 2 years, valuable if an issue crops up after the manufacturers warranty expires.  I'm never impressed with how the card looks (metal rose gold version) but I've had several comments from overseas use saying they haven't see one before.  It's all good.

I had an interesting conversation with Amex CSR about my gold card . I originally called up to ask about a few restaurants and grocery stores I didn’t get 4x on. The topic went on to why gold can’t be used at restaurants or grocery stores outside the US. He stated to me that you didn’t get any mr for anything outside the US, i was a bit shocked when i heard that , is that true you don’t even get one mr for use outside the the US. I was going to bring it as a backup for my Citi premier or Amex aspire. Another interesting note from the conversation was that Amex may be dropping apple and google pay. That topic came up because one of the restaurants i used Apple Pay to pay for something , and it didn’t correctly give me the 4x. 

I am starting to waver a bit with the gold card if all those things are true, I may go back and upgrade my ED to EDP again and use that card as my main MR accruing card again. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 15 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

I had an interesting conversation with Amex CSR about my gold card . I originally called up to ask about a few restaurants and grocery stores I didn’t get 4x on. The topic went on to why gold can’t be used at restaurants or grocery stores outside the US. He stated to me that you didn’t get any mr for anything outside the US, i was a bit shocked when i heard that , is that true you don’t even get one mr for use outside the the US. I was going to bring it as a backup for my Citi premier or Amex aspire. Another interesting note from the conversation was that Amex may be dropping apple and google pay. That topic came up because one of the restaurants i used Apple Pay to pay for something , and it didn’t correctly give me the 4x. 

I am starting to waver a bit with the gold card if all those things are true, I may go back and upgrade my ED to EDP again and use that card as my main MR accruing card again. 

I knew the multipliers didn't apply overseas but I was unaware that they didn't reward even the base MRs on overseas purchases.

Interesting...

Message 16 of 73
bz386
Frequent Contributor

That’s simply not true. You earn base points for international purchases.
Message 17 of 73
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

In my case once a month I treat myself to a dozen chocolate chip cookies from The Great American Cookie Company at the mall.  Smiley Happy

But did  you do that before the card?  If not, doesn't really offset the fee, more a freeish food opportunity

Message 18 of 73
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bz386 wrote:
That’s simply not true. You earn base points for international purchases.

I was a little surprised when he said that , but I have yet to test my gold card overseas, so I was unaware. Last time I was overseas I used my CSR mostly since it mostly travel and restaurant expenses . I don't know if its any different if you call the Membership rewards number compared to general amex number. I may still bring gold oversea as back up  after my CIP and citi premier. Amex usually doesn't get accepted at many places so probably doesn't matter all that much. I thought it was just a bit surprising is all.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 19 of 73
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

But did  you do that before the card?  If not, doesn't really offset the fee, more a freeish food opportunity

Occasionally?  Yes.  Consistently?  No.

I'm not upset about it, though.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 73
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.