Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green App. 12-24

tag
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Green App. 12-24

To all on the board...  Thank you.

So, after building credit, reading the boards, and doing a lot of research.

Background, I had an AMEX Green back in late 80's, then upgraded to Gold early 90's. All things in life went bad. I am pretty sure I burned AMEX for about 7k.   No BK, just a skip.

Well, I have re-been building since Aug 2010.  I have good cards, good limits, as you can see in my sig.  Just about always pay in full, have between 5% to 7% Utl at most.

I thought I would be black listed by AMEX, and wouldn't blame them.  All statements lined up, balances, UTL, and all good.  I did have 6 EX Inq in last 24 months, but only 1 in last 6 months.

I put a freeze on EX a while back to avoid any other INQ's. I paid EX for my report and score on 12-24.  On 12-24. EX score 728, all pretty good.

I pulled the trigger on AMEX Green, Online.  Got the pending and needed additional information. I called, spoke to frontline CSR, he could not access report.  I gave him my one time PIN for EX.  He pulled report and claimed no score, and no history on EX.  I am looking at my report as I am speaking with him. 

He did say something like, you were a member a long time ago, I agreed, yes back in the 80's, and I wanted to be a member again.  No other conversation about the past.  Amex did pull EX as I got a notice of an INQ.

After 30 mins, he still could not help me further.  So he said he forwarded my app to another level for review.

Today I went to check app status, and it says "Cancelled". but further info needed. So I checked that.  Amex wants the IRS 4605-T, and copy of address verification.  So I called Amex Exec office and was transferred to the "Media Department" in Arizona.

I faxed in all the requested information and a nice letter to explain the app process.

After speaking with 5 different reps, 2 front line, 1 exec, and 2( 1 in AZ, and 1 in Salt Lake City), Not one person ever mentioned anything about a defaulted account.  And from what read, Amex would not even pull a report if one was blacklisted.  All 5 reps asked for DOB and SS #.

Any input from anybody would be wonderful on thoughts

Thanks

J

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Green App. 12-24

Update;

So, I sent all the requested information in.  I check the application status site about 2 to 3 times a day and every day at some point is says something like,  Need additional information.  So I click the link, it asks me for my DOB, then next screen asks me for my SS, then it I have to agree to electronic communications then "Updates the Application" and then says check back in 24 hours.

I know it takes a few weeks to get the IRS information back.

Has anybody had to repeatedly enter the same information over and over for the application ?

And, if I have made it this far in the process, does that mean I am not on the dreaded "AMEX BLACKLIST" ?

Any others with input it would be appreciated.

Thank you

J

CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 2 of 19
codesingh
Regular Contributor

J

I owe some amount to Amex and I supposed and apparently I am on their blacklist. But I am thinking to go the mile and no matter what seek their approval and recon for my month old denied application.

I'll update how that goes but as you know it takes times. I'll inbox or put the update here.

I have about 1/3rd of your experience with lenders compare to your's...and in general what I have seen that majority of the times the lenders appreciate the type of continued effort like you have been putting in to getting credit. You are on it and keep it up.

Good luck...Happy New Year!!

Singh

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
Message 3 of 19
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I think you're in wait and see mode. I can't recall anyone being fr'd before being approved. I would assume it has something to do with your old CO. I have read posts where people are able to get back in with Amex after paying the old CO. 

Usually, you're right and if you're blacklisted they won't even do a HP. But it's a ymmv situation. There could always be an exception. I haven't read of anyone experiencing this, so all I can do is suggest you wait and see what they say.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 19
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 5 of 19
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE.....

Well,  after checking with the site for status a few times a day, today finally got dreaded  "DECLINED".

But the explanation was about the 4605-T and address verification. 

So the call was made, spoke for 20 mins with CSR and she was trying to help but could not.  She kept saying I have no credit file and no score, and that even though I gave one time PIN to Amex to access report she still said they were not able to access.

So, I pulled my report and score on 12-24 from Experian Directly, Experian PLUS Score was 728 the day of application.

I asked my call to be escalated to a supervisor, and it was.

Well not to bore you all, but I had to give Amex another one time PIN today, and the supervisor was able to pull my report again, but she said she would send to Experian and removal of the hard inquiry on 12-24 too.  

She processed and my application again, and this time.     BAM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>        APPROVED.

The application status on web also said APPROVED.....

I am in shock.  Card to be here in 7-10 days.

I guess I will wait and see when I log into my account what my Member Date will be.

And if not my date from back in the late 80's then depending on how I am feeling, I might just press and press the backdating, but I will see.  I really do not need Amex but I wanted it again and got it.  I hate to piss off Amex and them realize I burned them back then and they cancel my account.

So I will update again, when my card arrives. 

I still can not believe I made it back in with American Express.   I thought for sure I was blacklisted for LIFE.....

Thank you thank you thank you, to this forum. I learned so much.

J

Message 6 of 19
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I just checked Credit Karma and Smart Credit. 

AMEX Hard pulled a Transunion report today, even though I gave her a pin for Experian. 

I now need to check Experian to see if AMEX Hard pulled that one too.

I only had one other INQ on TU, now I have two.

Message 7 of 19
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

UGGGGGHHHHHHH

Amex Hard Pulled Experian as well today......

Now I have to Equifax and see if AMEX pulled a CRAP ONE and did all three.....

Message 8 of 19
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE Re: AMEX Green App. 12-24

I got my card today.

Activated it, set up online account access.

And BAM>>>>>>>>

Member since 1991 is showing on my main page.

I ask all the others, does it really matter what the actual card says?  It says Member Since 13.

All I need to know is what is reported on my Credit Reports ?

Any help is apprciated .

J

Message 9 of 19
creditballer
Regular Contributor

Re: UPDATE Re: AMEX Green App. 12-24

@Bay_Area_Joe wrote:

I got my card today.

Activated it, set up online account access.

And BAM>>>>>>>>

Member since 1991 is showing on my main page.

I ask all the others, does it really matter what the actual card says?  It says Member Since 13.

All I need to know is what is reported on my Credit Reports ?

Any help is apprciated .

J

Congrats..i'm applying for Amex again after going thru the same process as you (except i was still denied)..waiting 31 days...I want to get backdated to 88 when i first had their card...i'll updated...glad u had success!! 

Last App Oct 2013...applied and received Amex PRG and Blue Sky!
FICO -Walmart = 779
Credit Karma = 781
EX-766, EQ 772, TU-759
Goal: 800
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.