Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green PC to a No-Fee card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Green PC to a No-Fee card

@Anonymous wrote:

The Amex Essentials card recently hit in Canada and might make its way here to the US.  Or it might not.  The Essentials is like a revamped Zync offering low interest, basic rewards, and no annual fee.  It's part of the charge card product line, so if it did hit the US you'd stand a good chance at being able to PC to it.

Isn't that sorta like the EDC?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering if OP closed the Green card and if he got any retention offers.

At this point, I have no use for the card either after downgrading from the Platinum.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

At this point, I have no use for the card either after downgrading from the Platinum.

The only point I can see to having the Green card is for the 25k sign up points.  After that you might as well just use the PRG as you have same annual fee after the travel credit.  Plus the PRG has a lot more points earning potential. 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The only point I can see to having the Green card is for the 25k sign up points.  After that you might as well just use the PRG as you have same annual fee after the travel credit.  Plus the PRG has a lot more points earning potential. 

Yes, that would be best but, right now i'm putting all my spending on the Barclay Arrival + to collect points for next year's trip. I did have the PRG and loved it.

Message 15 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that would be best but, right now i'm putting all my spending on the Barclay Arrival + to collect points for next year's trip. I did have the PRG and loved it.

I recall you had a bad time using Amex Platinum in Spain, and presumably want nothing more to do with Platinum.

For people who like their experience with Platinum, but just don't see themselves using the perks/credits for a while, Green can be a good way to have a card "hibernate". No need to worry about new accounts, getting a new card number, or Amex changing their underwriting standards for new accounts. Yes, there's still an AF...but there are also occasional offers.

Definitely not saying this approach is for everyone.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I recall you had a bad time using Amex Platinum in Spain, and presumably want nothing more to do with Platinum.

For people who like their experience with Platinum, but just don't see themselves using the perks/credits for a while, Green can be a good way to have a card "hibernate". No need to worry about new accounts, getting a new card number, or Amex changing their underwriting standards for new accounts. Yes, there's still an AF...but there are also occasional offers.

Definitely not saying this approach is for everyone.

I knew someone was going to say that lol, and yes, i love your approach and that's why i downgraded from Platinum, that bad experience in Spain  I guess i can just wait until one day i get an offer to upgrade...you have good memory! 

So far, i've used $75 on offers with AMEX on things i would actually spend money on, so i guess that helps.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.