cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold

kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@NRB525 wrote:

 It's actually more expensive than if one ( me ) was to plan better and get the snacks less expensive elsewhere


I think this is the problem with EDP or Rewards+ or  any of those "frequent use" type of cards. If you aren't careful you can end up overspending just to reach the transaction limit (or for Rewards+, to get more round up). Obviously a daily vending machine habit is more expensive than the value of the points you are recieving. Relying on purchases like that to reach the transaction threshold is probably going to cost more than you gain.

 

EDP is great for someone who only wants to use one card, but for anyone around here who juggles cards and maximizes categories, you can often end up making unnecessary or overpriced purchases to hit the 30.

Message 11 of 22
FortifiedHM
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@NRB525 wrote:

I had the EDP for a couple of years, starting in 2015. I have several other cards, so when I was heading toward a month I knew I would have a significant non-cat spend, I would purposely use the EDP to ramp up to the 30 swipes. It was a chore.  So I closed it. 

Soon after I PC'd a Slate to CFU, and that was sweet.  No sweat.  

I also use cards in the vending machines, with the idea of keeping the cards busy.  It's actually more expensive than if one ( me ) was to plan better and get the snacks less expensive elsewhere, but it keeps my cards happy, and does feed the EDP well.


Indeed, using amex card is like a third job you have that doesn't pay much.The end result typically is that one thinks s/he got "good reward" while actually spent more than they would otherwise.

 

I am trying to not overspend on my gold, and it isn't easy.

ᑭ⍶ndeᲠi८ ѠαԼԼεէ : ᙪ൦ſΛ ८☕ Λlti-ၺ ✈☕թroթⅇl
⛪✈☕⸿ⵢᖇ ⍟Ԑժᑭ ⍟८ſ ┊Ҩⵢ ☏८ſⴑ ⛽ෲթƧ/βiz ⛽iէ | ८✙ ┊❡olδ┊ↇᏨ ☕▲B ⍟Ⲙilⅇⴑթ ⛪
⸨ꜷ ᐰmzn ᐰ√ ☏⸿i⸿┊⸿iⴑ ⚕ᙪᙪթ⍟wſ -√ ⚕ᙪᙪ८⸩ Ձ൦Ձ❶ ✢ᖇēẉαrժ✙

PⵢA: Wear a respirator (Π95, Кп95, ҞҒ94), period.
Message 12 of 22
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold

I think this is all with the understanding that you only spend what you would have done anyway.  Isn't that like the first rule of earning CC rewards?  Obviously if you're buying stuff you wouldn't normally buy you're spending dollars to earn pennies which is silly.

 

Fair point, though... I can see how the EDP would encourage you to do that, which is part of why I closed mine.

Message 13 of 22
QuakerOatmeal
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@Sage512MB wrote:
If you really don’t like the Gold, I would cancel it and go for the Green. Depending on when you opened though, because if it’s before that second AF, you could get some points clawed back.

Jesus, an AMEX Bonvoy with a 1K credit line is rough lol

I rarely if ever use the Bonvoy. At this point I just use it for the anniversary night, and even that rarely if ever gets used. So I moved the credit line from the Bonvoy to my EDP since I actually use that card. If I could, I would just close it and move that 1k to the HHonors, but AMEX won't let me move it over.

I probably should just close it at this point though... Plus the "baby" Bonvoy isn't available anymore, I don't think?

Message 14 of 22
Stralem
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@QuakerOatmeal wrote:

@Sage512MB wrote:
If you really don’t like the Gold, I would cancel it and go for the Green. Depending on when you opened though, because if it’s before that second AF, you could get some points clawed back.

Jesus, an AMEX Bonvoy with a 1K credit line is rough lol

I rarely if ever use the Bonvoy. At this point I just use it for the anniversary night, and even that rarely if ever gets used. So I moved the credit line from the Bonvoy to my EDP since I actually use that card. If I could, I would just close it and move that 1k to the HHonors, but AMEX won't let me move it over.

I probably should just close it at this point though... Plus the "baby" Bonvoy isn't available anymore, I don't think?


You can't apply for it, but you can downgrade to it last I checked. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - 7 Years & Counting Without a CLI

Citibank - Handing out CLIs Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - They REALLY Like Me For Some Reason...

Errrrr'one Else - Because I'm Lazy
Message 15 of 22
longtimelurker
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@NRB525 wrote:



I also use cards in the vending machines, with the idea of keeping the cards busy.  It's actually more expensive than if one ( me ) was to plan better and get the snacks less expensive elsewhere, but it keeps my cards happy, and does feed the EDP well.


For my various reward checking accounts, I have to do a total of 36 "swipes" a month.  I am able to do this in about 20 minutes reloading Amazon gift card balance.   This does have some cost (I could be getting 5% on the amount spent, so losing about $1) but is well worth the tradeoff.    I assume doing this is a short period might annoy Amex, but isn't it possible to do that over a month if necessary.   Potentially healthier than vending machines (depending what you buy on Amazon!)

Message 16 of 22
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:



I also use cards in the vending machines, with the idea of keeping the cards busy.  It's actually more expensive than if one ( me ) was to plan better and get the snacks less expensive elsewhere, but it keeps my cards happy, and does feed the EDP well.


For my various reward checking accounts, I have to do a total of 36 "swipes" a month.  I am able to do this in about 20 minutes reloading Amazon gift card balance.   This does have some cost (I could be getting 5% on the amount spent, so losing about $1) but is well worth the tradeoff.    I assume doing this is a short period might annoy Amex, but isn't it possible to do that over a month if necessary.   Potentially healthier than vending machines (depending what you buy on Amazon!)


Nope, still not planning to get EDP again Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
Message 17 of 22
Janus
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold

Yeah the multiple swipe cards in a cycle are too much hassle for me, with other cards to needing be used for rewards. It further compounds the problem when the cycles start and stop at various times of the month, not having from the first to the last day of the month.

 

If the rewards on Green were somewhat differnt, maybe then it would appeal to me. But for now the Gold/BCP makes the most sense for me.

 

Rough ballpark figure what would 45K points be worth, does it justify the immediate $150 AF? 

This is one reason why I liked the waived AF's, gave a person a free chance to test drive the cards. 






Message 18 of 22
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold


@Janus wrote:

 

Rough ballpark figure what would 45K points be worth, does it justify the immediate $150 AF? 

This is one reason why I liked the waived AF's, gave a person a free chance to test drive the cards. 


Even if you use points for statement credit, one of the worst value redemption options, 45K points is still worth $270.

 

A better way to redeem is to transfer to airlines where you can get 2cpp or better, so 45K points would be worth $900+

Message 19 of 22
budugu
Regular Contributor

Re: AMEX Green vs AMEX Gold

 



I'm not really seeting that with regards to the EDP.  I only charge three-five times a month for gas and groceries I go to Wal-Mart (which doesn't really count as a Supermarket).  I think it is a spend problem.  For supermarkets if Wal-Mart was included I can do $4500 a year on it plus $500 a year on gas.  I just don't think the ROI would be enough for me to do the EDP and use the BBP for everything else.  Just for me it is easier to do Green + BBP and call it a day. 


For low spends it is hard to beat 2% or BBP type of cards. Because even for BBP+ Green ~ you need 15K of travel + restaurant spend to break even. THe most annoying thing is that amex has super narrow definition of "restaurant" is. I went to steak and sushi place the other day it is classified as Bar and no 2x argh.

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.