Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - HP for Addl Cards and Member Since

tag
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX - HP for Addl Cards and Member Since

@bergrides wrote:

Will the soft pull work if you are not logged in to the Amex site?  If I login, the offer is $25 less than if I don't login.  

Thanks

Yes. The process is: the browser "locks you in" on that offer. Then, it asks you to sign in. After you sign in, it sees that you are an AMEX member and does the process (SP) as if you were not signed out.

HOWEVER, I would suggest taking a screenshot of the offer. This happened to me (storytime):

I have a member bonus of 130k/$2000 (signed in with my account). The public/incognito offer was $150K/$3000 spend.  I wanted the incognito offer, so I did the incognito approach. After meeting the $3000 requirement, I asked them about it, and was informed that I will get the 130k/$2000 bonus because that was the offer to me. I told them I got a different offer but they seem to know that the offer is tied to my account somehow. I mentioned that I have a screenshot of the application and the offer agreement (before I applied , but after I signed in with my account). I was told that they will investigate and asked me to be ready for the proof. After a couple of days, I got my 150K points.

Moral of the story: AMEX definitely knows about the incognito workaround, and might be working to solve it in the near future. In the meantime, save a screenshot.

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had an Amex through the company I was working for in 2013. I got a new personal Gold Card this year. When I log in it says Member since 2013, but my card still says since 2019.
Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call and ask them - they may be willing to reissue your card with the earlier date.

Message 23 of 30
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Yes. The process is: the browser "locks you in" on that offer. Then, it asks you to sign in. After you sign in, it sees that you are an AMEX member and does the process (SP) as if you were not signed out.

HOWEVER, I would suggest taking a screenshot of the offer. This happened to me (storytime):

I have a member bonus of 130k/$2000 (signed in with my account). The public/incognito offer was $150K/$3000 spend.  I wanted the incognito offer, so I did the incognito approach. After meeting the $3000 requirement, I asked them about it, and was informed that I will get the 130k/$2000 bonus because that was the offer to me. I told them I got a different offer but they seem to know that the offer is tied to my account somehow. I mentioned that I have a screenshot of the application and the offer agreement (before I applied , but after I signed in with my account). I was told that they will investigate and asked me to be ready for the proof. After a couple of days, I got my 150K points.

Moral of the story: AMEX definitely knows about the incognito workaround, and might be working to solve it in the near future. In the meantime, save a screenshot.

I always take screen shots of the offers that come up during the application process.  Once the process is done, all record of the offer is gone.  I actually screen shot the whole process, including the spending limit so I have a record just in case.

Message 24 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call and ask them - they may be willing to reissue your card with the earlier date.

Just a question to those that do this.   OK, you call Amex, or get a card reissued somehow, and it arrives "Member Since: dawn of time"

Once you get it, how often do you or anyone else, really look at this date?

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know that anyone other than the cardholder does - some people just like seeing it.

Message 26 of 30
satio
Frequent Contributor

As I stated in the opening, the member since part of my question for me is just a small token of personal victory.

It doesn’t mean anything to anyone else.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I app'd for my second CC on 11/16/19 – I received their message that my app was being reviewed… blah blah blah.

I only decided to app for the new card after my Amex EveryDay CLI request was approved (15k to 25k).

I’ve been an Amex card holder since March 2019.

Amex did not pull my credit (my Experian credit profile was frozen).

I called Amex the following day and I spoke with a CSR who explained my app was not automatically approved because their system could not verify my address. I verified my address and my identity by answering a few questions.

I was approved (SL 20k).

Message 28 of 30
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval and 20k 

Message 29 of 30
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a question to those that do this.   OK, you call Amex, or get a card reissued somehow, and it arrives "Member Since: dawn of time"

Once you get it, how often do you or anyone else, really look at this date?

Probably as much as a metal card actually being handed to someone for checkout. But those cards have big threads about getting them.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.