Did you mean: 

AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass v. Citi HHonors Reserve

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass v. Citi HHonors Reserve

@Epcot wrote:

@LesWH wrote:

I have the Citi AA Amex with a $9500.00 limit.  I wonder if I can PC that into the Citi HHonors card......

I am also interested in knowing the answer.

I just got off the phone with Citi's retention department.  I can't do a PC because I have not had my Citi AMEX a year yet, but if you have had yours, you can do the PC.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 11 of 13
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

1. Unless you stay at international hiltons a lot, there is not a huge reason to get the Citi Reserve right now. You already have Gold through 3/2014 (or maybe 3/15 if you got approved in January). You have already paid the annual fee for the Amex, so there is very little value in paying it again for the Citi this year.

2. The amex does slightly out-earn the citi for stay points (12 vs 10). The amex also gives you 6 pts/dollar for gas/groceries/cell/cable. With HHonors points generally valued at 0.5-.7 cents/point, that's about 3cents/dollar. Pretty good, unless you have another card that does better in those categories.

3. Amex gives you access to Axon awards, which are useful for maximizing redemption at cat 6/7 hotels for 4 night increments.

4. What you want to do is downgrade the Amex to the regular HHonors the month before your annual fee is due, then get the Citi card next year. As others have said, don't PC. Much of the value in hotel cards is in the sign up bonuses.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 12 of 13
LesWH
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

1. Unless you stay at international hiltons a lot, there is not a huge reason to get the Citi Reserve right now. You already have Gold through 3/2014 (or maybe 3/15 if you got approved in January). You have already paid the annual fee for the Amex, so there is very little value in paying it again for the Citi this year.

2. The amex does slightly out-earn the citi for stay points (12 vs 10). The amex also gives you 6 pts/dollar for gas/groceries/cell/cable. With HHonors points generally valued at 0.5-.7 cents/point, that's about 3cents/dollar. Pretty good, unless you have another card that does better in those categories.

3. Amex gives you access to Axon awards, which are useful for maximizing redemption at cat 6/7 hotels for 4 night increments.

4. What you want to do is downgrade the Amex to the regular HHonors the month before your annual fee is due, then get the Citi card next year. As others have said, don't PC. Much of the value in hotel cards is in the sign up bonuses.

Now this is the info I was looking for. I got the AMEX Jan. 1 for maximum backdating. Thank you so much for this info!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.