Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Income + Assets

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Income + Assets

Does anyone know if it matters to AMEX if you report your total assets? It would seem not, based on their response today. Called in because the website has been broken for 5 days and rejects my submission when I try to update my income and assets. Got bounced around to 4 reps who either said "wrong department" or "not sure what you're talking about" or "we already have that info". I know they didn't ask for assets when I applied, though. 

Anyone else having trouble with the website and updating that info? Does it influence CLIs at all?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX Income + Assets

@Anonymous wrote:

Does anyone know if it matters to AMEX if you report your total assets? It would seem not, based on their response today. Called in because the website has been broken for 5 days and rejects my submission when I try to update my income and assets. Got bounced around to 4 reps who either said "wrong department" or "not sure what you're talking about" or "we already have that info". I know they didn't ask for assets when I applied, though. 

Anyone else having trouble with the website and updating that info? Does it influence CLIs at all?

I tried to use that feature in early 2015 and it wasn't working then, either.

I'm not sure how much it matters.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think income matters many times more than assets, but giving them a number for assets IMO can only help you with respect to possible CLIs.  The greater your assets are, the greater the chance is that you'll be able to continue paying your bill should your income stop or some other dramatic event happens that could make it difficult for one to keep up with payments.

Of course, it doesn't mean someone would necessarily use their assets to pay a CC bill... so I don't think that number is all too significant.  However, someone with $0 assets vs $10k in assets could be perceived as slightly more risky.  How much more risky and/or how much that impacts potential CLIs can be argued; my guess is not all too much.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to go with assets don't matter much. I put down $0 as mine (not really sure why now that I think about it, haha). Never had an issue getting a CLI. Current CL is about half my reported income, more than enough available credit for my needs.
Message 4 of 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I did put down my assets. Not sure if it helped or not though. I can say I have a PRG, Platinum and a 40k BCP with no 4506t form to fill out yet. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 5 of 14
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Amex's website says it can help.  If you have sufficient income I am sure it doesn't matter.  If you are having troubles, try a different browser.  It worked last time I tried to update my income/assets.

Message 6 of 14
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

if your assets are low like less than $50k it really shouldn't  matter but if your assets are 250k and you have a low paying job you may get a card dispite the low income and low credit score. Thinking that you may be able to liquidate your other assets if you need to pay your AMEX bill.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I don't see how it can factor in at all as there is no good way of verifying non-taxable assets.   I have several Rembrandts worth $100M+ each, which don't show up on my 4506-T since I haven't sold them yet!

(OK, I don't have several, just two)

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It must factor in to some degree or in certain situations, otherwise why would it be asked or why would anyone fill it in?

Even if it only matters 1% in most cases, that's greater than zero.

Message 9 of 14
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I don't see how it can factor in at all as there is no good way of verifying non-taxable assets.   I have several Rembrandts worth $100M+ each, which don't show up on my 4506-T since I haven't sold them yet!

(OK, I don't have several, just two)

Please tell me you're joking or I swear I'm deleting my account as I would have had enough lol

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.