AMEX Initial Credit Limit

tag
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Initial Credit Limit

@chalupaman wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

Weird part for me was not getting that full 3x CLI on my Delta card but being able to still get approved for my NPSL and ED cards right after that.

Thank you for your response. Had your income changed? Did you get CLIs on other cards during 61 days? Did you apply other cards/loans during those 61 days? Did score changed in 61 days since you got your card? How was your utilization on Delta and other cards at that time? 

No change in income and I think I got CLIs on some Sync Bank cards. Can't remember if my score had changed significantly but I do remember doing some apps during that time. The counteroffer I got though pretty much doubled my CL.

In that case, it is great. At least 2XCLI is still pretty good. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 11 of 36
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

After looking at tens of postings about card holders getting 3XCLI after 61 days, I am of an opinion (or I would also called hypothesis) that:

AMEX do give your 1/3 of the initial CL for what you qualify max. (based on your history, score, income, assets, etc.). Unless your credit situation worsens over the first 61 days (not just not paying AMEX charges on time, but carrying higher balance on AMEX and other cards, more credit applications/inquiry etc., income reduction, etc.), you normally get approved for 3XCLI. Some gets countered with lower than 3XCLI if their situation is slightly worsened (or not improved for that matter).

Any comments? Your opinion, personal experience......Please share.    

Remember that 6 months after that, many get something like 3x again, so your hypothesis might be modified to account for that.

I've had the same feeling as you when you read of very low starting amounts, ($1K, followed by posts pointing out that this could be $27K in 14 months!!! and wonder why they just didn't give $3K or so).   But others have Amex as one of their highest limits to start.

Back in 2007, my Blue Sky (first Amex cc, and first Amex for 20 years) started at $20K, which was certainly in the upper quarter of my CLs, and I had nothing like a $60K card.  So I suspect, as always, there is variation

Message 12 of 36
taxi818
Super Contributor

So if that holds true. i just got 3500 dollar limit yesterday. starting limit.

Can i look forward to 10500 in 61 days??

Then in 6 months 31500???

but my income is only 70k per year. so i would be scared they want their famous FR.

can someone ask for less than the 3X????

Message 13 of 36
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

After looking at tens of postings about card holders getting 3XCLI after 61 days, I am of an opinion (or I would also called hypothesis) that:

AMEX do give your 1/3 of the initial CL for what you qualify max. (based on your history, score, income, assets, etc.). Unless your credit situation worsens over the first 61 days (not just not paying AMEX charges on time, but carrying higher balance on AMEX and other cards, more credit applications/inquiry etc., income reduction, etc.), you normally get approved for 3XCLI. Some gets countered with lower than 3XCLI if their situation is slightly worsened (or not improved for that matter).

Remember that 6 months after that, many get something like 3x again, so your hypothesis might be modified to account for that.

I've had the same feeling as you when you read of very low starting amounts, ($1K, followed by posts pointing out that this could be $27K in 14 months!!! and wonder why they just didn't give $3K or so).   But others have Amex as one of their highest limits to start.

Back in 2007, my Blue Sky (first Amex cc, and first Amex for 20 years) started at $20K, which was certainly in the upper quarter of my CLs, and I had nothing like a $60K card.  So I suspect, as always, there is variation

Just few minutes back I was thinking the same and you brought the same point. It is likely that for higher initial CLI card holders (say $20K limit), they may have may 2XCLI or even lower ratio in their mind for 61 days CLI?  

Message 14 of 36
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

So if that holds true. i just got 3500 dollar limit yesterday. starting limit.

Can i look forward to 10500 in 61 days??

Then in 6 months 31500???

but my income is only 70k per year. so i would be scared they want their famous FR.

can someone ask for less than the 3X????

I have seen many cases of 3XCLI from say $2K-$5K initial CLI. Of course as always YMMV. Now 6 months after that 61 days CLI, it is a whole different scenario. It would be tough to get it to $31,500 but anything is possible. 

By the way using your logic my CLI (if they approve) would be $180K after 61 days + 6 months.......Smiley Happy I doubt eventhough my income can support that limit, they would not give it. I am pretty positive......

Message 15 of 36
VegasKyle
Regular Contributor

I was approved for the Delta Gold CC and a Charge card last year with mid 600's and a short credit history.  At 61 days I went for the 3x CLI on my $1000 initial limit.  I was declined and had scores in the low-mid 700s.  My utilization was high and I had opened a Discover Card as well within the 61 days.

My current scores are right around 700 and I was just approved for the ED card with an $8k limit.  I don't think there as any magic formula, I think AMEX relies heavily on whatever internal system they have put together.  I'm not sure that I'll ask for the full 24k at 61 days. 

Starting Score: EQ 599, TU 577
Current Score: EQ 703 9/20/14(HI 741 on 5/13), TU 690 10/1/14 (HI 751 on 5/13), EX 700 10/1/14
Goal Score: 750+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@s_haliz wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

Can't say.  When I app'd for my BCP card it was approved at $10.5k.  When I app'd for my Business SPG card it was approved at $3k.  Your guess is as good as mine. 

Thank you for sharing. I had also learned from few other users in this forum that normally second card from AMEX carries less initial CLI than first AMEX one. Let see how other card users response on this. 

In my case, my first Amex card was Delta and they approved me with less CL vs. Second Amex EDP. They gave x 2 from my previous Delta limit. I have never request x3 , the last time I requested a CLI was only $4 and of course it was approved . My EDP card is my go card now and I put around $2k a month, I only leave $300 to carry balance.

Message 17 of 36
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

Although I have not attempted a CLI yet because I am holding out for a few other cards and I don't want useless limits, I would think AMEX wouldn't say I qualify for a $24K CL with a $12K income and 10 months of history, but you never know. 

Opposite of your theory I feel as if they gave me a starting CL of $8K as my max qualified Cl, so I didn't have to do the 3X CLI from 2-3K.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

My ED was approved for $1,500 late august with a 674 EX FICO.

Wonder if it would have been higher if i'd applied for it first instead of the PRG then ED.
Message 19 of 36
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

not likely, My first Amex card was approved at 6k CL, nothing in my credit report supports me having an 18k CL at the time, it was 300% of my highest existing CL at the time,. Chase only approved me for a 3k CL a month or so later. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.