Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Inquiry WARNING!

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

AMEX Inquiry WARNING!

So ive been an AMEX Green cardholder for about a year now and i know that if you are an AMEX customer and apply online for another card, its only a soft inquiry if you are denied. Well, now thats not true.

My Experian report is showing a HARD INQUIRY on my credit report now on the same day I applied for the Green Business AMEX while signed in...It was the short app, and ive done it before in the past with no approval, but also with no hard inquiry!

What is going on? When did this change? Any ideas how to get rid of this inquiry or am i just screwed...?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Inquiry WARNING!

@shane82388 wrote:

So ive been an AMEX Green cardholder for about a year now and i know that if you are an AMEX customer and apply online for another card, its only a soft inquiry if you are denied. Well, now thats not true.

My Experian report is showing a HARD INQUIRY on my credit report now on the same day I applied for the Green Business AMEX while signed in...It was the short app, and ive done it before in the past with no approval, but also with no hard inquiry!

What is going on? When did this change? Any ideas how to get rid of this inquiry or am i just screwed...?

It's a hard inquiry if you were approved.  Were you denied for the Green business card?

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

1 inquiry is not going to kill you, and it only affects you for 1 year. Your scores are ok are you looking for a big purchase soon? but then your scores aren't on the border of tiers in credit? so not sure why 1 inquiry is making you panick. Since you can't bump EX reports and that you legitimately applied for another line of credit I'm pretty sure your stuck. 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@shane82388 wrote:

It's a hard inquiry if you were approved.  Were you denied for the Green business card?

Yes, thats why there is the issue here...I was decline...yet hit with a hard inquiry. I got the decline letter in the mail and everything.

Message 4 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

Also why would you apply for another card now? Most Amex customers will apply for other lines of credit in January for the backdating. You stated the account was open for about a year, so assuming it was late 2011. If you open a card in January Amex works by using the Month you applied   (jan in this case)  + the year you became a member. So they would start reporting the new tradeline if you got one.  January 2011 helping you with AAOA

also atleast you got a decline letter so you should've got a Amex EX Fico score right? Smiley Happy not all bad what was it btw? =x

Message 5 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

1 inquiry is not going to kill you, and it only affects you for 1 year. Your scores are ok are you looking for a big purchase soon? but then your scores aren't on the border of tiers in credit? so not sure why 1 inquiry is making you panick. Since you can't bump EX reports and that you legitimately applied for another line of credit I'm pretty sure your stuck. 

Im not panicking, its just annoying that this "sure thing, tried and true method" stops working when i try it, lol. Now i have 4 inquiries on Experian...not too great.

Also, my Experian score is 658 now i believe...according to the denial letter. Gonna change my sig.

Message 6 of 16
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

from what i can vaguely recollect, this is only if you apply for a personal card and are declined. i could be wrong and they may have changed this.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

Also why would you apply for another card now? Most Amex customers will apply for other lines of credit in January for the backdating. You stated the account was open for about a year, so assuming it was late 2011. If you open a card in January Amex works by using the Month you applied   (jan in this case)  + the year you became a member. So they would start reporting the new tradeline if you got one.  January 2011 helping you with AAOA

also atleast you got a decline letter so you should've got a Amex EX Fico score right? Smiley Happy not all bad what was it btw? =x

I got my personal Green AMEX last august...and i was under the impression any card from the inital card you get with AMEX will simply be backdated just the same as my original Green AMEX card...so 2011, regardless of when you apply.

Message 8 of 16
shane82388
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

from what i can vaguely recollect, this is only if you apply for a personal card and are declined. i could be wrong and they may have changed this.

Ive tried back in May/June i think and there was a denial but no inquiry...

Message 9 of 16
distantarray
Established Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

Im not panicking, its just annoying that this "sure thing, tried and true method" stops working when i try it, lol. Now i have 4 inquiries on Experian...not too great.

Also, my Experian score is 658 now i believe...according to the denial letter. Gonna change my sig.

Well I just did a quick look through credit pull database at CB turns out that the score is too low , seems like most people get approved around 680+ and looks like last year approval scores were a little lower, but was your utility higher this time around?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.