Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Limit 4 on Credit Cards now ?

tag
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

AMEX Limit 4 on Credit Cards now ?

Any validity to AMEX Limit 4 on Credit Cards now ? 

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Limit 4 on Credit Cards now ?

First I've heard of it. Where did you hear of it?

Message 2 of 50
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Doctor of Credit 

Message 3 of 50
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I haven't heard of Amex shutting down a 5th, 6th, or Nth open revolver. But there are a few DPs suggesting that at the very least, getting 5 or more may be harder.

If I do end up having to close one it would probably be ED or BCP.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 50
redpat
Senior Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I haven't heard of Amex shutting down a 5th, 6th, or Nth open revolver. But there are a few DPs suggesting that at the very least, getting 5 or more may be harder.

They won't close cards but getting new ones might start.  From what I read there isn't enough data points on this.  It looks like Amex might be trying to cut down SUB costs rather than change reward structure or dilute MR points.

If this is true, here we go again........Like 5/24 and Amex the haters will be coming out in force.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 5 of 50
NRB525
Super Contributor

@PointsBonus wrote:

Doctor of Credit 

No link? DoC is a jumble so finding this individually is an Easter Egg Hunt.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 50
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Believe this may be what was referred to: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/has-american-express-started-limiting-some-customers-to-4-lending-pro...

Not many concrete confirmations here, the final statement specifies: "At this stage it looks inconclusive at best. The worrying thing is customer service representatives citing a four card limit."

A data point embedded down in the comments section provides some clarification on the 'reported' / possible limitations:

• Before today, Credit Card limit was 5.
  • Before April this year, Charge Card limit was none (unlimited).
  • Currently, Credit Card limit seems to become 4.
  • Charge Card limit is 10.
  • Personal / business doesn’t matter.

Message 7 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Amex has been making the charge cards a lot more like revolvers so I wonder if the distinction will eventually go away with regard to the rules. 

While a limit of 4 is disappointing for people around here, it's probably perfectly reasonable for the average customer who wouldn't even consider having that many anyway. 

OP, since you have many cards beyond the supposed new limit, I'd tread carefully with closing any of them at any point if you are worried about the rule. 

Message 8 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw that this morning also. I haven't had prequals for awhile despite an average 53 point score increase across the board the last six weeks and numerous other profile changes for the better. Wouldn't surprise me, if this is real, if I'm one of those select cardholders since my profile still isn't excellent and I have four revolvers and a Gold charge from Amex. Gonna be watching this for sure.

Message 9 of 50
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@redpat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

They won't close cards but getting new ones might start.  From what I read there isn't enough data points on this.  It looks like Amex might be trying to cut down SUB costs rather than change reward structure or dilute MR points.

If this is true, here we go again........Like 5/24 and Amex the haters will be coming out in force.

Why would "haters" come out if we're talking about pretty reasonable restriction? 

5/25 didnt hurt chase, and if anything, it makes their cards appear a bit more "special"

If they limit it to four cards, there will be those who cannot qualify for two, just like there will be those who will be approved for 10. 

Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.