Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Limit 4 on Credit Cards now ?

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Limit 4 on Credit Cards now ?

currently at 5 amex cards,  3 revolvers, 1 personal charge, and 1 corp charge card,  down from 6. 

BCP, Magnet, and Hilton for revolvers,   delta was cut a few months ago when the AF hit, and couldn't justify it.

personal charge is among the rarest of cards,  the Zync card love the $35 AF

and work charge is corp green

haven't felt the need to apply for any more cards, most I don't have an AF and nothing gets modivated to add another one. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 50
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I haven't heard of Amex shutting down a 5th, 6th, or Nth open revolver. But there are a few DPs suggesting that at the very least, getting 5 or more may be harder.

If I do end up having to close one it would probably be ED or BCP.

They won't close cards but getting new ones might start.  From what I read there isn't enough data points on this.  It looks like Amex might be trying to cut down SUB costs rather than change reward structure or dilute MR points.

If this is true, here we go again........Like 5/24 and Amex the haters will be coming out in force.

Why would "haters" come out if we're talking about pretty reasonable restriction? 

5/25 didnt hurt chase, and if anything, it makes their cards appear a bit more "special"

If they limit it to four cards, there will be those who cannot qualify for two, just like there will be those who will be approved for 10. 

Haters don't need a thing to be unreasonable to complain about it.

I don't like 5/24, but I know it makes sense for Chase. That doesn't stop the "5/24 is going to put Chase out of business" posts.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 12 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Amex has been making the charge cards a lot more like revolvers so I wonder if the distinction will eventually go away with regard to the rules. 

Unless they come out with a no AF Charge Card, then there is definitely a distinction. Sure I can use POT and get charged same APR as my CC, but thing is I PIF on all my Amex cards. Except the one I had a 0% BT for. So unless they offered a Charge without an AF, I have no use for anymore than the one I currently have. 

As for new 4 limit, it would throw a wrench in my plan to close an exsiting Revolver to open a new one. So that part kind of stinks, means I'd have to close two just to get one if true. As I have been contemplating getting rid of ED for possibly Amazon, and once i use up all my miles I had also planned to close Delta and open Hilton.

So we'll see what happens when that time comes. 

Message 13 of 50
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

I haven't heard of Amex shutting down a 5th, 6th, or Nth open revolver. But there are a few DPs suggesting that at the very least, getting 5 or more may be harder.

They won't close cards but getting new ones might start.  From what I read there isn't enough data points on this.  It looks like Amex might be trying to cut down SUB costs rather than change reward structure or dilute MR points.

If this is true, here we go again........Like 5/24 and Amex the haters will be coming out in force.

Why would "haters" come out if we're talking about pretty reasonable restriction? 

5/25 didnt hurt chase, and if anything, it makes their cards appear a bit more "special"

If they limit it to four cards, there will be those who cannot qualify for two, just like there will be those who will be approved for 10. 

Some don't want one.

Chase or Amex    Heart

Message 14 of 50
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If I remember right, the limit used to be 4 and they bumped it up to 5 a couple years ago.

I've been doing 12-month keep and cancel for a while now rolling through their catalog to get SUBs.  I'd planned to cancel the Hilton Biz when it turns a year old so I could sign up for Amazon.  I'll be disappointed if they won't let me do that, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'll just cancel the NAF consumer Hilton as well if push comes to shove.  We'll find out next month.

Message 15 of 50
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

You don't remember the Chase complaints when 5/24 came out?

If Amex is going to include charges as one of the four products and if people close cards to fit another one in the slot then get the pop-up "No SUB for you because of closed accounts", yes I can see many complainers around theses forums.  

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 16 of 50
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Amex has been making the charge cards a lot more like revolvers so I wonder if the distinction will eventually go away with regard to the rules. 

While a limit of 4 is disappointing for people around here, it's probably perfectly reasonable for the average customer who wouldn't even consider having that many anyway. 

OP, since you have many cards beyond the supposed new limit, I'd tread carefully with closing any of them at any point if you are worried about the rule. 

Oh noooo, I am not closing any of mine, It took me a few years of closing and opening, but what you see on mu signature line is the "perfect" combo for me and I worked hard to get that. Not closing any, I am good with AMEX the way it stands for me. Now, if they come out with the "Titanium/Optio" card..........That be a whole different story :-).   I just figure I share the information with the community.

Message 17 of 50
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Amex now limits revolvers to 4

Didn't see this anywhere. Terrible news, hopefully it gets moved back to 5 when Covid ends and the economy stabilizes.

https://milestomemories.com/confirmed-american-express-does-have-a-new-4-card-limit/

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 18 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex now limits revolvers to 4

@Shadowfactor wrote:

Didn't see this anywhere. Terrible news, hopefully it gets moved back to 5 when Covid ends and the economy stabilizes.

https://milestomemories.com/confirmed-american-express-does-have-a-new-4-card-limit/

To be honest I would say it probably will remain at 4. Most average consumers are going to have 1, maybe 2 cards with Amex, and would go nowhere near the limit. Most who are at 4-5 cards are unprofitable churners or even if not churning, they are reward maximizing, which is also unprofitable. In short, no business reason for them to allow more cards IMO, as disappointing as we may find it.

4 seems to be a somewhat common number. BoA used to allow basically unlimited cards and IIRC they shut people off at 4 now for the most part. Maybe not 100% of the time but frequently. Maybe banks feel 4 is a good number.

Message 19 of 50
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex now limits revolvers to 4

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Shadowfactor wrote:

To be honest I would say it probably will remain at 4. Most average consumers are going to have 1, maybe 2 cards with Amex, and would go nowhere near the limit. Most who are at 4-5 cards are unprofitable churners or even if not churning, they are reward maximizing, which is also unprofitable. In short, no business reason for them to allow more cards IMO, as disappointing as we may find it.

4 seems to be a somewhat common number. BoA used to allow basically unlimited cards and IIRC they shut people off at 4 now for the most part. Maybe not 100% of the time but frequently. Maybe banks feel 4 is a good number.

You have 4 basic types of people in the credit card sphere.

The average consumer

the casual hobbyist which churns/maxizimes rewards. this group is the least profitable. 

business people who earn a lot of rewards but don't know how to use them. They also spend a lot of  money and don't care about maximizing earn/redemption potential.

The Heavy hitters. This group may be unprofitable at first but with enough volume, they become extremely profitable to a bank. There's only so many cards/categories you can push until you maximize them and have to switch to earning 1X which definitely earns the bank money. I know several of these people and they are doing mid 6-7 figures a month and I'd imagine that Atleast half of it is at the most basic reward category. 

This change will not affect the first group but will largely affect 2-4 with 3 affected the most. Businesses usually have some sort of loyalty to an airline/hotel so that could potentially take 2 slots which only leaves you 2 slots on the personal side. This will push away some spend from that issuer in its most profitable group.

I know there's lots of other things to consider like risk and just how unprofitable group 2 is, but I don't see these changes lasting more then 2 years provided the economy recovers. It could be wishful thinking though. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.