Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Name on card questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Name on card questions

So it seems that AMEX lets you choose a 'name on card' which is not same as one's 'name' (the name on gov IDs).

A few questions on it though:

1. Is that 'name on card' just cosmetic or part of billing address? Like, for online purchases, which name should one use? Would bills be addressed to 'name on card' instead of 'name'

2. Has anyone experienced any hassle in convincing cashiers that the card is yours? (Note that 'name on card' is different from name on ID, if they check ID what do you say)?

3. Any other caveat of choosing one that is different from 'name'?

TIA!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX Name on card questions

The name on card feature is cosmetic as far as I am aware, and trouble would depend entirely upon the name you ask to have placed on the card. I have the first intial of my first and middle name along with my full last name and have not run into any problems. Cashiers and servers taking my card either don't care or are smart enough to figure it out. For simplicity, I use my full name when making online purchases, though Amex's system may be profiecent enough to process a transaction with the card name given they have both on file.

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I suddenly have the strangest urge to change all of the names on my cards to McLovin, organ donor from Hawaii.
Message 3 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I use several different names. As a matter of fact, I have three different names on my three CapOne cards. I didn't do that on purpose; it just worked out that way. It's never been an issue. However, if someone specifically asks for "name on card," I'll make sure the name I use matches what the card says.

As far as purchases, bills, or whatever, I can't imagine the name on the card mattering. I can certainly see a spouse's card being attached to one's Amazon account, for instance.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.