Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX New Member Question

tag
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

Re: AMEX New Member Question

Hi!

Apply for two cards: a charge (Green) and revolver (Gold Delta).  

Those are the easist!  And if you apply in one day, they'll only do one INQ.  Smiley Happy  Yay!

I got: Green, Gold Delta, and Clear all approved in one day.  NPSL, 2K, 2K are the limits respectively.  

AmEx BCE - 2K, Clear from AmEx - 2K, Bank of America Travel Rewards - 10K, Chase Freedom - 4.3K, U.S. Bank College Visa - $600, Discover More Card - 7K, Citi Dividend Card for Students - 2.1K, Barclay Rewards MC-2.5K, Macys Red Card-1.8K, Bank of America AmEx-15K, Banana Republic Visa-2.5K, Chase CSP-10K, Chase Saphire-5K,
Message 11 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@FabulousDtheBruin wrote:

Hi!

Those are the easist!  And if you apply in one day, they'll only do one INQ.  Smiley Happy  Yay!

I got: Green, Gold Delta, and Clear all approved in one day.  NPSL, 2K, 2K are the limits respectively.  

This isn't guaranteed. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 12 of 22
grubs
Valued Member

@FabulousDtheBruin wrote:

Hi!

nice both in one day!

Message 13 of 22
FabulousDtheBruin
New Contributor

EX score-696; AAoA-12 months; income-40K

AmEx BCE - 2K, Clear from AmEx - 2K, Bank of America Travel Rewards - 10K, Chase Freedom - 4.3K, U.S. Bank College Visa - $600, Discover More Card - 7K, Citi Dividend Card for Students - 2.1K, Barclay Rewards MC-2.5K, Macys Red Card-1.8K, Bank of America AmEx-15K, Banana Republic Visa-2.5K, Chase CSP-10K, Chase Saphire-5K,
Message 14 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I recently pulled the trigger on Amex BCP and  only had two BofA credit cards. (nothing else on my report) 1 card with 3,5K and 1 with 5K. AAoA 18yrs .What made it even worse for me that I had already applied for CapOne, Discover and Chase Freedom and had been approved. The cards did not report yet when I applied for the Amex card so I was pretty sure that I would get denied.  It must look like I am desperate for credit but  I told myself ..what the hell.. 1 more hard pull will not make much of a difference and fall off pretty much at the same time as the other 4. To my big surprise Amex approved me with 5K after the initial review message. It only took 15 minutes or so.

Wonder why BofA never auto CLI on your account? I do not remember ever asking a CLI on my cards and I believe I started off with 1.5K or so and even now after my recent app spree BofA increased the 3.5K to 5K as well. Looks that they are monitoring my accounts closely? My util is low less than 3% and my score in November was 759 Fico. (due to punishment with util as I paid after statement cut - was not aware until I joined here) So far I have not been punished for my  5 hard pulls yet 788 Fico is the score now with CapOne already reporting. But I have started to PIF before statement cut to compensate and let at least 1 account report a balance. Not sure what will happen if the 3 others will be added. We will see. But I am finished with my spree anyhow and only curious to see the Fico reaction now. 

I would probably also apply for 2 cards in your case. 

Good luck with whatever you do Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 22
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

As others have stated, it seems like you would qualify for most any card you want, so it really depends on your own spending habits.

Do you spend a lot on airfare, groceries, and gas? Go for the PRG. How about groceries, gas, and department stores? The BCE or BCP could be good. Do you usually fly Delta or JetBlue? Go for those co-branded cards. Do you like to stay in hotels? The Hilton co-branded cards might be right for you.

Also, it is possible still pay in full every month with a revolver. That's what I do. It might actually be good for your utilization, since your other cards don't have super high CLs. For most people, it's possible to get a 3x CLI after 61 days as well.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 16 of 22
cim
Established Member

The thing about AmEx charge cards is that you really have to use them in order to make up for the annual cost.  The other issue is that CL only gets reported to the highest balance carried.

If you really want an AmEx, I suggest one of their revolvers like the BCP.  This way you can take advantage of the cash back categories and use it in conjunction with the rotating categories on your freedom and bankamericard.  You'll also have a reporting CL without having to be concerned with whatever the highest balance carried as is the case with a charge card.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your help. So little twist....

i was at my chase branch making a deposit. Happened to ask a banker if I was pre approved for anything. I was preapproved for quite a few. One was the sapphire preferred. I took it and received a Very generous limit and I'm pretty excited about it. 

id still like an amex but not too sure on the to go. Maybe it makes sense to do a charge card now than before I got the sapphire preferred? 

Message 18 of 22
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

That is great news - Congrats! 

Take your time for Amex and chose the one that fit your spending habits best. 

cheers

Liliane

Message 19 of 22
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you all for your help. So little twist....

i was at my chase branch making a deposit. Happened to ask a banker if I was pre approved for anything. I was preapproved for quite a few. One was the sapphire preferred. I took it and received a Very generous limit and I'm pretty excited about it. 

id still like an amex but not too sure on the to go. Maybe it makes sense to do a charge card now than before I got the sapphire preferred? 

whatwasthelimit

you should take your time deciding which amex you would like to apply for. 

most people apply for cards around the same time (app spree) so all the inqs and accounts age at the same time. 

congrats on the sapphire preferred though! 

treat it well. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.