cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima Platinum: Anybody still keeping theirs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Optima Platinum: Anybody still keeping theirs?

Hello, myFICO family. After DH and I bought our house in 2000, we paid off our cards and only kept one CC each.  He kept his AMEX Blue, and I kept my AMEX Optima Platinum.  Been paying with cash and debit cards.

Well, of course we did not know not using credit is bad.  Our limits went down, as our scores did.

Started rebuilding in 2016 with a BofA Cash Rewards.

Back to the Optima Plat.  No AF and has 0 balance. Shall I keep it or convert/upgrade it to another card?  They said I can keep same number.

Have you kept yours all these years?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Optima Platinum: Anybody still keeping theirs?

Don't have one but if I were you, I'd find out what my options were as far as cards they'll allow you to change it to and do some research on which would work best for you and change the account to a different product.
Message 2 of 9
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

If a different Amex card serves your needs better, then you should convert it.

I opened my Amex Optima Platinum in 1989, and I plan on keeping it. It does get used occasionally, and my DH and son are additional card members.
FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I used to have the Optima Platinum, and the regular AE Platinum back when I traveled a LOT - canceled all my AmEx cards (long story) but converted my Opitma to the plain jane version which I still have open - its dated 1978, but I hardly use it....which goes back to the long story of why I am not a fan of AmEx. Figured the 1978 was worth holding on to, no AF and very low APR (was 7.99% recently changed to  8.24%) and I run $400-$500 through it a year. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Don't have one but if I were you, I'd find out what my options were as far as cards they'll allow you to change it to and do some research on which would work best for you and change the account to a different product.

Thank you for your input!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CribDuchess wrote:
If a different Amex card serves your needs better, then you should convert it.

I opened my Amex Optima Platinum in 1989, and I plan on keeping it. It does get used occasionally, and my DH and son are additional card members.

Thank you so much!  I'll keep it for now.  

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

I used to have the Optima Platinum, and the regular AE Platinum back when I traveled a LOT - canceled all my AmEx cards (long story) but converted my Opitma to the plain jane version which I still have open - its dated 1978, but I hardly use it....which goes back to the long story of why I am not a fan of AmEx. Figured the 1978 was worth holding on to, no AF and very low APR (was 7.99% recently changed to  8.24%) and I run $400-$500 through it a year. 

@Thank you, @pipeguy!

Message 7 of 9
JohnnyGaddar
New Contributor

I just got mine. As far as keeping it. I’m thinking to keep it for least an year. Information says you can regain membership at Amex for keeping optima in good standing for least an year. I will apply for new product after an year when if I get approved I will close the optima account. 👍
Date 07/01/2018

Message 8 of 9
SBR249
Established Contributor

OK I might have missed something but I thought that the AmEx Optima Platinum was discontinued a few years ago and the cards were converted to the EveryDay card? At least that's what happened to mine. Did they let people opt out of that auto-PC or bring back the card? 

Edit: ahhhh nvm. I see the OP posted a year ago. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.