Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Optima sucks

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Optima sucks

@Kinglord wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of being upgraded or CLI on the AMEX Optima?  I have had mine since OCT 18 and have never been offered or approved for a CLI.  It seems the pre-qualify on AMEX website is not working, makes me wonder if the upgrade feature is also not active.

Any Help?

You have to have the card for a year before you can get a CLI or another card. Optima is a re-entry card. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 21 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@Kinglord wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of being upgraded or CLI on the AMEX Optima?  I have had mine since OCT 18 and have never been offered or approved for a CLI.  It seems the pre-qualify on AMEX website is not working, makes me wonder if the upgrade feature is also not active.

Any Help?

You have to have the card for a year before you can get a CLI or another card. Optima is a re-entry card. 

I assume OP meant Oct 2018 (more than a year ago) and not October 18, 2019. Clarification would be good.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 22 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Kinglord wrote:

It seems the pre-qualify on AMEX website is not working

It is.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.37.39 PM.png

@Kinglord wrote:

makes me wonder if the upgrade feature is also not active.

Upgrades are fine.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.39.53 PM.png

@Kinglord wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of being upgraded or CLI on the AMEX Optima?  I have had mine since OCT 18 and have never been offered or approved for a CLI.

Definitely not humble bragging 😂😂

Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

AMEX Optima's current configuration is NOT the same as the original Optima of 30 years ago.  Back in that age ... the Optima card was the first  AMEX revolver ... and was offered to Green and Gold cardholders, which is when I got mine.  Have had the AMEX Platinum Optima since 1990 and just got a new one in the mail a couple of months ago.  Very low APR and now a $62,400 CL and Member Since date of 02/80 which is when I got the Gold card.  Good card to have if you need to make a big purchase all at once....have been very happy with it over the years.  No annual fee.

We need to be precise when we describe products, they are NOT all the same.

+++1 ^ ^ ^ ^  

Ditto. 

I also had the original Optima when it was a PRIME card, not subprime. 

It's been closed for over 15 years though. 

So what does the Platinum Optima offer in terms of rewards vs. AF?

There's no rewards with the optima. Amex days you better be happy we're even looking at you again. 

Message 24 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

AMEX Optima's current configuration is NOT the same as the original Optima of 30 years ago.  Back in that age ... the Optima card was the first  AMEX revolver ... and was offered to Green and Gold cardholders, which is when I got mine.  Have had the AMEX Platinum Optima since 1990 and just got a new one in the mail a couple of months ago.  Very low APR and now a $62,400 CL and Member Since date of 02/80 which is when I got the Gold card.  Good card to have if you need to make a big purchase all at once....have been very happy with it over the years.  No annual fee.

+++1 ^ ^ ^ ^  

Ditto. 

There's no rewards with the optima. Amex days you better be happy we're even looking at you again. 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/extended-warranty-terms.html

If you look there, you'll see that Optima and Platinum Optima are two different products.

Message 25 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe worthy of Gas but that silver and blue contrast of the Optima shown in the signature line I find to be one of the more aesthetically pleasing of any Amex cards just sayin'.

If at some point I need the Optima in the future I will take it if available and that has nothing to do with what the card looks like, and everything with getting back in with a major I burned to accelerate building a useful rewards portfolio.

Chase on the other hand would kick me to the curb for at least 8 years if not more and USBank is also more conservative.

        
Message 26 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Definitely not humble bragging 😂😂

It wasn't meant to brag, just to illustrate that both preapprovals and upgrades were indeed working on the day that OP proposed one or both were broken.  I would never "card shame" anyone, but all of us have to remain able to view our credit profiles and history objectively.  We can't immediately jump to making broad statements like "the website is broken," "Citi is no longer unsecuring cards," or "Synchrony is closing the accounts of all cardholders" based on one person's experience (or even a handful if evidence exists to the contrary).

Message 27 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

+++1 ^ ^ ^ ^  

Ditto. 

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

+++1 ^ ^ ^ ^  

Ditto. 

From

https://www.financeglobe.com/credit-cards/card-906/

looks like 1 point per $.   MR I assume?

Message 28 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

From

https://www.financeglobe.com/credit-cards/card-906/

looks like 1 point per $.   MR I assume?

It's hard to compare APR terms without knowing the rate environment of that old ad, but it looks pretty mediocre as far as rewards and BT terms...not that Amex is much of a BT institution these days.

Message 29 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Surely you must be taking about 1918, because Optima Card of this millennium is not a CLI or upgrade-friendly product. Sorry for your disappointment but you will need to apply for another product if you want to move out of the Optima product or grow any further with American Express.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.