Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PC Questions

tag
wilmer007
Contributor

AMEX PC Questions

i just got my AMEX BCP the second 3X CLI from the LUV button after opening the card back in october. however when i got the card back in october i got it mostly for the 6% CB Supermarkets and this 6% was going to be mostly from gift cards (mostly gas gift cards). but now the CFU has overtaken that honor due to me wanting to collect more UR points for transfering to airlines for more value out of my spending, and also because the nearby costco moved to a new location that now has a gas station so gas is super cheap for me now. so now i'm looking to PC the card to a $0 AF card since it won't be used much now.

my questions are:

1) is it too early to PC?

2) can i get some of the AF back if i PC to a $0 AF card for the months i have left?

3) can i PC to the ED card or am i stuck downgrading to the BCE?

4) if i PC to another card will i still be able to one day get the sign up bonus for that card if i ever decide to get that card as a new application?

5) i have about $32 left of CB left to claim will i lose it if i PC?

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: AMEX PC Questions

1.) No.
2.) Generally not. They often prorate when you PC to a higher AF card, though. May want to wait until October.
3.) You can only PC within the family, so it's BCE only. EDP/ED/Blue are another family, earning MRs instead of cash.
4.) Yes, as long as you don't get an bonus on the PC to BCE (which would be highly unlikely) you will still qualify for one sign-up or upgrade bonus per card per lifetime.
5.) No, since you would be doing a PC to another CB-earning card.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wilmer007 wrote:

i just got my AMEX BCP the second 3X CLI from the LUV button after opening the card back in october. however when i got the card back in october i got it mostly for the 6% CB Supermarkets and this 6% was going to be mostly from gift cards (mostly gas gift cards). but now the CFU has overtaken that honor due to me wanting to collect more UR points for transfering to airlines for more value out of my spending, and also because the nearby costco moved to a new location that now has a gas station so gas is super cheap for me now. so now i'm looking to PC the card to a $0 AF card since it won't be used much now.

my questions are:

1) is it too early to PC?

2) can i get some of the AF back if i PC to a $0 AF card for the months i have left? - Don't think you can at this point in time

3) can i PC to the ED card or am i stuck downgrading to the BCE? - You can not PC an Amex cash back card to a MR earning card

4) if i PC to another card will i still be able to one day get the sign up bonus for that card if i ever decide to get that card as a new application? - Yes

5) i have about $32 left of CB left to claim will i lose it if i PC? - No because as far as I know you can only PC it to the BCE card

Message 3 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

One thing to consider is that the BCP earns 50% more for gas/department store spend.  The best strategy may be to wait until AF time and try to get a retention offer, and if that doesn't make sense to keep the BCP then just downgrade it to the BCE.

Message 4 of 5
wilmer007
Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

One thing to consider is that the BCP earns 50% more for gas/department store spend.  The best strategy may be to wait until AF time and try to get a retention offer, and if that doesn't make sense to keep the BCP then just downgrade it to the BCE.

AFAIK BCP earns 3% at Gas Stations (6% if buying Gas Gift cards at Supermarkets). this doesn't get me excited to want to use it over my CFU especially when Costco doesn't accept AMEX anymore and Costco saves me about 30 cents per gallon. i'll take 1.5 UR (+ 50% bonus from CSR) anyday over 3%-6% CB.

*****|$15,200|********|$13,500|***********|$5,000|*********|$25,000|***********|$500|
Highest Scores: Transunion 08: 821 | Equifax VantageScore 3.0: 780 | Experian 08: 804 | gardening until May 2018 or longer.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.