AMEX PLATINUM Pre-approval w/100K pts vs Chase CSR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX PLATINUM Pre-approval w/100K pts vs Chase CSR

Huh... interesting! I should line them up on a post in here

@redpatwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

For ME the benefits I want would overlap. So I wouldn't pay an extra $550/year to double them up.

Funny, I think CSR doesn't have many perks or benefits other than trip delay / cancellation and better car rental insurance.  Amex has actual perks I can use every time I travel, lol!

before applying for either.

Message 11 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Don't let pressure force you to getting something you don't want. Bad decisions and app regret are a real thing.
Message 12 of 58
redpat
Senior Contributor

@simplynoirwrote:
Don't let pressure force you to getting something you don't want. Bad decisions and app regret are a real thing.

OP, should research and really look at all the benefits and perks that each card offers.  Any card you get should give you the best bang for your buck and the AFs shouldn't be a problem if the value you are getting exceeds those costs.  The net AF for both cards excluding Uber perk is $500 a year, not bad if you travel a lot.  The Uber perk brings it down to $300, but a hard perk for most to get on a monthly basis.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 13 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@redpatwrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

OP, should research and really look at all the benefits and perks that each card offers.  Any card you get should give you the best bang for your buck and the AFs shouldn't be a problem if the value you are getting exceeds those costs.  The net AF for both cards excluding Uber perk is $500 a year, not bad if you travel a lot.  The Uber perk brings it down to $300, but a hard perk for most to get on a monthly basis.

It was nothing against you or me I just wanted to make sure OP didn't feel any peer pressure at this point on what to decide on. Better to be safe than sorry. Because I'm with you on this (heck I first suggested it) with the future travel OP mentioned in another post but even then some people still balk on paying a high premium on two cards like this and we need to respect that.

Message 14 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, there aren't many perks that are really duplicated.  Priority Pass and PreCheck/Global Entry are the only ones that come to mind (unless you count certain non-transfer redemption options).  I like having both the Platinum and the CSR because the Amex airline partners work better for me, but Amex points are nearly useless for me for hotel redemptions.  Chase UR points have some great hotel transfer partners, and Southwest transfers are great if I need a cheap flight (usually when I'm booking flights for someone else or all other options are too expensive).  The CSR's main advantage is that you get to combine all of your UR points, and UR points are easy to obtain and have a high value.  Combined with the no-AF cards of Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, you get 5x points on rotating categories (this quarter is particularly good), 3x points on travel and dining (go with the CSP if you don't spend a lot here--you still get the biggest perk but don't have to shell out the high AF up front), and 1.5x points on everything else.  This structure pairs up farily closely with the EDP Amex card, for what it's worth, but the categories are different, which means they complement each other well.  Chase UR points also have a convenient minimum value for travel when you use the Chase travel portal.

The CSR doesn't have a lot of non-point perks.  Some people value Priority Pass, but so far I haven't found Priority Pass lounges to be the most convenient for how I travel.  My airport only has a SkyClub lounge, and when I fly Delta, the SkyClub lounge is almost always the closest to my gate.  Check out the airports you frequent most (or where you want to go most) and see what Priority Pass lounges are available.  If they're not convenient or you're not really into them, then you shouldn't value Priority Pass that highly.  The PreCheck/Global Entry perk is worth face value, but it only works once in every four years (and a PreCheck/Global Entry membership lasts for five).  And I don't rent cars much, so to me the car rental perks aren't so much a perk as much as they are a nice bonus if and when I need them.  The most valuable non-point perks for Chase are the travel insurance policies.  Primary car rental coverage is standard (Amex charges extra for primary coverage), travel delay insurance applies when you put only a portion of the trip on the card (the Platinum doesn't have this), etc.

By far I have found the Platinum perks to be more exciting (except for the airfare credit--that is where the Amex program stumbles most; Chase's travel reimbursement is better, end of sentence).  I love the access to SkyClub lounges.  Travel will never be the same for me, and I can't go back to crowded waiting areas and outlet deserts (LaGuardia anyone?), and Centurion lounges are the best available.  Amex offers can save you a lot of money, depending on which offers are available and where you spend your money.  (However, since 2015, I believe I've saved $60 on cell phone/cable bill offers alone).  The automatic gold status with SPG automatically matches with Marriott gold status, which has gotten me lounge access and executive floor upgrades at every single Marriott I've stayed at since getting the card.  I don't stay in Hilton hotels often, so I haven't taken advantage of the hilton status perk.

The sticker shock is what gets most people for these cards.  Together they're $1000, which to most people is insane just to have the ability to spend money.  But, if you can use the Chase $300 travel credit (which covers basically any travel expense), the $200 airline credit (which usually works for gift cards, with certain conditions and exceptions--see FlyerTalk if you have questions), and the $200 Uber credit (which I use for UberEats most months), then the out-of-pocket expense is only $300 for everything I've described above.  Whether this $300 out-of-pocket expense makes sense for you to spend is highly dependent on your travel preferences and frequency and income.

In general, if you are looking to make travel more affordable and you want peace of mind when you travel, choose the Chase CSR.  If you're looking for elite experiences, choose Amex Platinum.  If you like Delta and Hilton, lean towards Amex.  If you like United, Southwest, Hyatt, and Marriott, Chase points will help you pay for them.  If you want both, it can definitely make sense to have both.

However, remember that Amex SUBs are once in a lifetime.  You may not find the 100k offer again/when you want to.  They're not offered all of the time.  If you decide you want to apply for the Platinum in the future, you may find yourself having to choose between signing up for a worse SUB or waiting indefinitely for the 100k offer to come around again.  The CSR SUB is pretty stable at 50,000, and it is highly unlikely that Chase will offer 100k points anytime agian in the near future.

Edit: I should add that for those who are comfortable with booking airfare using airline partners, you can unlock value for both point systems in lots of unexpected ways.  I'll let other people who know more about this than I do help explain how this affects the decision-making process if you're interested.

Message 15 of 58
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

cardfan, you couldn't have said that any better. Bravo.

Message 16 of 58
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Agreed!*  You should save that response for reuse since CSR vs Plat is a common debate.

* With the exception of Marriott also fitting in perfectly on the Amex side now.

Message 17 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

Agreed!*  You should save that response for reuse since CSR vs Plat is a common debate.

* With the exception of Marriott also fitting in perfectly on the Amex side now.

I agree.  I give the slight edge to Chase on UR->Marriott transfers because those transfers increase lifetime status credit, whereas MR->SPG->Marriott transfers do not.  However, it's not like Marriott points are worth that much anyway.  You can almost get more value from UR points at Marriott by redeeming them for cash.  Smiley LOL

Message 18 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd pickup the Amex Plat @ 100k and get the CSR at a later point. Personally, I truly (and seriously, truly) hate the Amex Platinum card. However, with 100k bonus it is worth it. You can transfer the points out to a partner or get another fee fee donwgraded card. In the end, the CSR is a much better rounded card, unless your only purpose is "perks".

The CSR get 90% of my spend and its benefits are useful to me. But, at the end of the day you need to determine if you will actually use the Amex perks, to make it worht their outrageously high fee (e.g., if you fly Delta a lot - DL lounge access, live in a city that has a Amex lounge, etc.). Otherwise, the CSR is the clear winner. But, again for 100k Amex points get the card keep it for a year, see how you like it and determine then. 

Message 19 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone care to comment on the real world uses of 100K AMEX points? Particularly with airfare. Consider I have never flown first class and am willing to fly economy to get more trips out of them...
Message 20 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.