Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM RETENTION/CANCELLATION

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PLATINUM RETENTION/CANCELLATION

Hi there! My annual fee for my amex plat is comming up. I pay $725 bc I have 2 authorized users. I love the card, but $725 is still hard to pay considering. I wanted to ask you all if you have any experience, and tips, with AMEX retention offers. Also if there are any data points. I do get value from the card, use the airline fee for SW GC, use uber credits, and priority pass around 3 times a year, etc etc. BUT like I said $725 is quite a lot for a card. I do spend quite in the card, say around 5k a month or more, depending, and feel like I may get a retention offer. Still wanted your opinions b4 calling. Thanks to all!

15 REPLIES 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM RETENTION/CANCELLATION

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 3 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For what it's worth IMO I think you'll get a retention offer with that kind of spend on the card and three users on the account. Just depends on what offer they'll give you.

Message 4 of 16
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I would imagine you would get something. When I cancelled my Plat last year they offered 30,000 miles to keep it open. In the end I still closed it.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 5 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I agree you've a good shot at a retention offer.

Is there another card to which you could move your AUs? Platinum is mostly about perks. If the AUs often use the perks, then $175/2 = $87.50 per person isn't that much. If they don't, they could probably get more rewards on something else.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why 2 AUs, if you don't mind me asking.
The platinum is mostly an online card/something you don't really need to have on hand all that often. Just need to know the numbers.
Message 7 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I think you can also get a gold card for an AU for a lot less, possibly free (don't remember).

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 8 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I agree you've a good shot at a retention offer.

Is there another card to which you could move your AUs? Platinum is mostly about perks. If the AUs often use the perks, then $175/2 = $87.50 per person isn't that much. If they don't, they could probably get more rewards on something else.

Or you could ask the AUs to pay their portion of the annual fee or tell them you'll have to consider removing them if you're not offered a retention offer.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 16
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

If you've never gotten any kind of retention offer from amex, your chances are very good to get one. You may even be lucky enough to get a better offer if you HUCA a couple days later.

If the AU's aren't taking advantage of the lounge access then switch them to the AU Gold cards are there is no fee, but $87.50 per user to access Delta SkyClub and PP is honestly a steal. A day pass will run you $29-$59 depending on who/how you get access to Skyclub.

Ask them to share the expense if they are using the lounges.

You can call and switch the AU's over to free cards and still get a retention offer I bet.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.