cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PLATINUM down to GOLD - LOSE ELITE STATUSES WHEN?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PLATINUM down to GOLD - LOSE ELITE STATUSES WHEN?

Hey all

Not sure how or who to ask... so, here we are.

Ok, so I am 97% sure I will be downgrading my Platinum card to a Gold card at least for a while. I realize the Gold doesn't have the status matches with Hertz, Marriott and many others. How long will it be before all those statuses are cancelled? Instantly? End of year?

thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX PLATINUM down to GOLD - LOSE ELITE STATUSES WHEN?

According to link below it varies but consensus seems to be it sticks til the next renewal date. YMMV as always

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1248482-how-long-do-amex-platinu...

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANKS for the link! That makes sense. I plan to switch between these two cards as needed... not obsessively. But for most of each year, the Gold will suit my spending best by a long shot.

@simplynoir wrote:

According to link below it varies but consensus seems to be it sticks til the next renewal date. YMMV as always

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1248482-how-long-do-amex-platinu...

Message 3 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Can you clarify "switching between these two cards regularly" there?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

About to switch to Gold which will suit me more for the time being. If I have a lot of international travel coming up like I did when I got the card initially, I will switch back. Since I would be paying the higher fee to have those travel perks, AMEX claims this would not violate any policy they have. Especially since I am not taking any SUB to do this.

@simplynoir wrote:

Message 5 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Believe the CARD Act won't allow upgrades due to the increased AF for 12 months unless it only applies to new accounts

Message 6 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

It's been covered:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/STRATEGY-BUSTED-Thanks-Chase-CSR/m-p/5870697#M1691585 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well shucks folks! I called to downgrade and they countered with an offer I couldn’t refuse. One more year of platinum. Maybe I’ll grab the Gold additionally.
Message 8 of 16
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well shucks folks! I called to downgrade and they countered with an offer I couldn’t refuse. One more year of platinum. Maybe I’ll grab the Gold additionally.

That's likely fortunate for you in more ways than one.  Your up/down plan could have been problematic, at least now you have another year to consider it. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.