jcooks
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX POT

@bigseegar wrote:

@micvite wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

Your POT line is viewable by your statement...I don't believe you can just click something to see it like an AMEX revolving account.

The POT will fluctuate and with more history, eventually settle in to something...at least in my experience.  There's nothing worry about per sae.

Good to know. I was getting nervous that it was moving that much. I called to have my due date change to line up with my other cards and the rep made a commit that POT line was changing a lot and she said "strange" and that got me scared.

The rep is right... we don't see this mentioned often on the forums, either.  Spend limits do change based on a lot of factors, but POT limits usually stay the same as when they were assigned.

Is there something going on with your credit profile that would get the attention of their algorithm?

my POT has only gone down when I got a hard limit imposed on the card, when they gave me back NPSL it started out at 4k, I turned on POT again just to "circulate" the limit, and after maxing out the 4k and paying it off it immediately jumped to 7k (within same statement) my plat started at 2k, did the same thing its now at 4k and maxed out will report back once I pay it off.

Wello there's at ;east part of the answer to your question. If AmEx placed a hard limit in place of your NPSL then it sounds like something in your profile with them of your credit profile has AmEx spooked. 

I don't think OP mentioned that he was assigned a hard limit though.

Message 11 of 22
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Duriel wrote:

@cashorcharge wrote:

Your POT line is viewable by your statement...I don't believe you can just click something to see it like an AMEX revolving account.

The POT will fluctuate and with more history, eventually settle in to something...at least in my experience.  There's nothing worry about per sae.

I just checked and it is available on the iOS app at least. Under statements there is a pay over time option to click. 

Thanks @Duriel 

I never knew that before and sure enough it was there!  Thank you!!

Message 12 of 22
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

I have my Gold card and my Pay Over Time Limit has gone from 5k to 15k and everything in between. I have been with AMEX since 2011 and had the Gold Card since Jul 2021 and put about 1k on that card. My EX FICO is 795. Has anyone had this happen to? I just called AMEX and they said I don't spend a lot on the card and that i why my POT changes that much. Is this something that I need to be considered about? Is their a way to see the POT Limit online? I'm not asking about the "spending checker."

Just saw the title of your thread and laughed out loud!  Amex POT!!!Smiley Very Happy   I have heard of creditors reducing limits on cards that don't see a lot of usage. It's a security measure to reduce their exposure. If you only put a small amount on your card, then you show that you don't need a large POT limit, so they reduce it. 

Message 13 of 22
DONZI
Established Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

If you log on to your Amex account on a browser, there should be a link under your balance on the right that says "Balance Details".  When you click that it shows your charges, payments, balance and POT limit.

I notice the "Balance Details" does not show on a (my) new card before the first closing date and/or statement cut. The link shows on my aged card.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 14 of 22
jcooks
Established Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

@jcooks wrote:

If you log on to your Amex account on a browser, there should be a link under your balance on the right that says "Balance Details".  When you click that it shows your charges, payments, balance and POT limit.

I notice the "Balance Details" does not show on a (my) new card before the first closing date and/or statement cut. The link shows on my aged card.

You have to select the card that you want to look into at the top right.  The balance details link will only pull up the card that you're currently displaying a balance for.  If you select the Gold, or any other charge cards, you can see the Pay over time limit there.

Message 15 of 22
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

@Cory88 wrote:

I have my Gold card and my Pay Over Time Limit has gone from 5k to 15k and everything in between. I have been with AMEX since 2011 and had the Gold Card since Jul 2021 and put about 1k on that card. My EX FICO is 795. Has anyone had this happen to? I just called AMEX and they said I don't spend a lot on the card and that i why my POT changes that much. Is this something that I need to be considered about? Is their a way to see the POT Limit online? I'm not asking about the "spending checker."

Had you used AmEx POT when they increased you?

Do they only have a POT amount with charge cards? (my AmEx is credit and I haven't seen this)

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800 CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC (TBOM) $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8 CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 16 of 22
jcooks
Established Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

Had you used AmEx POT when they increased you?

Do they only have a POT amount with charge cards? (my AmEx is credit and I haven't seen this)

Yes, POT makes charge cards act similar to traditional credit cards.

Message 17 of 22
DONZI
Established Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

@jcooks wrote:

You have to select the card that you want to look into at the top right.  The balance details link will only pull up the card that you're currently displaying a balance for.  If you select the Gold, or any other charge cards, you can see the Pay over time limit there.

@jcooks 

sshot-2022-01-21-01-55-21.png

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 18 of 22
jcooks
Established Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

@jcooks wrote:

@DONZI wrote:

@jcooks wrote:

@jcooks 

sshot-2022-01-21-01-55-21.png

That's strange....this is mine

a.PNG

Message 19 of 22
jcooks
Established Contributor

Oh, I missed the part where you said this is a new card before 1st statement.  I guess it doesn't show before that? 

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.