Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG & Plat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PRG & Plat

Perusing thru the posts, I can't help but notice that there are a lot of people having both PRG and Plat cards.

I have PRG/BBP and plan to apply for the Plat soon. I do not have any use of Uber.

Having both serve any purpose?  Obviously for the points, but afterwards it seemed to me that you would need only one (after first or 2nd year for the PRG) in combination with an Everyday or BBP.

I can see having the CSR  for UR and Plat for the perks, any other benefit that you see?

Thanks.    

Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX PRG & Plat

Good point! I've been contemplating on giving up my PRG, although my main point of getting one is to establish accounts since I only kept one card (AMEX Optima Plat) after buying a house in 2000.

Thanks for starting this post. I would like to know why people keep both PLAT and PRG as well.
Message 2 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Perusing thru the posts, I can't help but notice that there are a lot of people having both PRG and Plat cards.

I have PRG/BBP and plan to apply for the Plat soon. I do not have any use of Uber.

Having both serve any purpose?  Obviously for the points, but afterwards it seemed to me that you would need only one (after first or 2nd year for the PRG) in combination with an Everyday or BBP.

I can see having the CSR  for UR and Plat for the perks, any other benefit that you see?

Thanks.    

Welcome to MyFICO

People, like myself, have both because they supplement each other.  The Platinum is known for its travels benefits and the PRG allows you to earn 3X MR points on flights and 2X points on at restaurants m gas stations and supermarkets.  The PRG is more of a daily spend card while the Platinum is to be used when needed for its travel benefits which are numerous.

Message 3 of 75
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.    

Welcome to MyFICO

People, like myself, have both because they supplement each other.  The Platinum is known for its travels benefits and the PRG allows you to earn 3X MR points on flights and 2X points on at restaurants m gas stations and supermarkets.  The PRG is more of a daily spend card while the Platinum is to be used when needed for its travel benefits which are numerous.

Well now the Platinum offers 5x on flights, so there's one point taken away from the PRG again. I prsently have both at the moment because it's my first year and wanted to snag the signup points. Amex for some reason has no problem giving me charge cards but won't give me a cent in revolving credit after my first $1k Smiley Sad Anyway, so until I can get the EDP to get good retun on groceries and gas the PRG will have to do. Definitely keeping the Plaitnum for its perks and annual credits.

Message 4 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interested in hearing how people justify having both cards. Adding up the annual fees of both cards seems like you would need to do some major traveling/spending to come ahead of the AFs.
Message 5 of 75
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I consider PRG the "jack of all trades, master of none" card. I had mine for just under two years, cancelling after I got Platinum.

Although the card has a lot of bonus categories, it's not that great in any one category, and I don't spend enough to need very high ($100k?) category bonus caps.

I pay insurance and taxes with SPG, but I don't otherwise spend a lot with Amex and don't really need the power of NPSL.

*I did already have CSP and ED when I dropped PRG...so it really was superfluous.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really don't understand why they make the Platinum metal. I have the Ameriprise Platinum which has no fee the first year.  And it is made of metal but I realize the only time I would use it would be for airline tickets or hotels booking through Amex website.  Everything else would be PRG as it has better rewards. They should have made PRG of metal.  Anyway  I plan to cancel platinum after first year as it seems not worth the fee while the PRG I probably will keep.

Message 7 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkhan1093 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks.    

Welcome to MyFICO

Well now the Platinum offers 5x on flights, so there's one point taken away from the PRG again. I prsently have both at the moment because it's my first year and wanted to snag the signup points. Amex for some reason has no problem giving me charge cards but won't give me a cent in revolving credit after my first $1k Smiley Sad Anyway, so until I can get the EDP to get good retun on groceries and gas the PRG will have to do. Definitely keeping the Plaitnum for its perks and annual credits.

Totally forgot about that and what is worse is I just charged some airline tickets to my Platinum for the 5X points.  Guess I don't really need the PRG because I have the EDP but I could see how others would still want both if their spend in the 2X categories justifies the net $95 AF.  I will be cancelling mine next time AF is due

Message 8 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I really don't understand why they make the Platinum metal. I have the Ameriprise Platinum which has no fee the first year.  And it is made of metal but I realize the only time I would use it would be for airline tickets or hotels booking through Amex website.  Everything else would be PRG as it has better rewards. They should have made PRG of metal.  Anyway  I plan to cancel platinum after first year as it seems not worth the fee while the PRG I probably will keep.

I'm certain I will be cancelling my PRG come AF time but had it been metal I would think twice Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 75
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm certain I will be cancelling my PRG come AF time but had it been metal I would think twice Smiley Wink

Frogman, you've mentioned before how you think PRG is superior to Platinum. What inspired you to get even a waived-AF Platinum, if you have no use for the perks? Was it just for the airline and Uber credits or something?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.