Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG & Plat

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX PRG & Plat

Curious.. if you have the amex plat, I read you can make yourself an au for a gold card using the alloted gold cards you can have under plat. If u did that, do points not count the same as a regulat prg?
Message 71 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

I don't see a good way to have both PRG and Plat. I might want to change PRG to Plat but its AF looks very high for me. Is there any welcome offer for a PC change of PRG to Plat? Is it feasible to do PC in the first year of PRG (while keeping MR/SUB points)? I highly use Uber and the 200$ Uber credit of Platinum looks promising. If feasible, I want to see if platinum would be a good product for me, I might want to keep it. If not, later on after 1-2 years, I might downgrade it to PRG. Without a welcome offer, it would be a very costly test and I am not interested. But I do not want to have two travel cards with AF. Any recommendation on PRG/Platinum?

If you want to test drive the Amex Platinum get the Ameriprise version as it has no annual fee the first year. (no signup bonus either)  I find the card pretty worthless than the 400 dollars of airline gift cards.  Did a round trip flight this week and at both airports the priority pass loungers were in different terminals.  You only get 15 dollars a month in Uber.  Haven't set that up yet.  And haven't charged anything on it other than the gift cards yet and global re-entry fee. 

Right because getting: 

$85 towards TSA Pre check

$200 towards Uber

$200 towards airfare fees

$450 towards Delta Lounges 

$99 towards Priority Pass lounges

Hotel credits per stay along with other benefits (fine hotels and resorts).

Starwood Preferred Guest gold status. 

Hilton Gold status. 

Car rental upgrades and discounts.

... For free is totally worthless. 

Message 72 of 75
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Curious.. if you have the amex plat, I read you can make yourself an au for a gold card using the alloted gold cards you can have under plat. If u did that, do points not count the same as a regulat prg?

I think Amex wants SSNs of AUs. I'm not sure if that requirement would block anyone trying to add him or herself as an AU.

Note that Gold AUs on Platinum cards get plain Gold cards, not PRGs. Plain Gold cards are pretty mediocre. Points would count, but there are better ways to earn.

I guess there's an extra point on dining...but there are plenty of 2x and 3x dining cards.

So even if it's possible, I don't see much reason to do so.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 73 of 75
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

I don't see a good way to have both PRG and Plat. I might want to change PRG to Plat but its AF looks very high for me. Is there any welcome offer for a PC change of PRG to Plat? Is it feasible to do PC in the first year of PRG (while keeping MR/SUB points)? I highly use Uber and the 200$ Uber credit of Platinum looks promising. If feasible, I want to see if platinum would be a good product for me, I might want to keep it. If not, later on after 1-2 years, I might downgrade it to PRG. Without a welcome offer, it would be a very costly test and I am not interested. But I do not want to have two travel cards with AF. Any recommendation on PRG/Platinum?

If you want to test drive the Amex Platinum get the Ameriprise version as it has no annual fee the first year. (no signup bonus either)  I find the card pretty worthless than the 400 dollars of airline gift cards.  Did a round trip flight this week and at both airports the priority pass loungers were in different terminals.  You only get 15 dollars a month in Uber.  Haven't set that up yet.  And haven't charged anything on it other than the gift cards yet and global re-entry fee. 

Right because getting: 

$200 towards Uber

Hilton Gold status. 

But it's not free.  It's $550 per year.

I see what you're saying. Essentialy you're getting all of those rebates and status perks at a bundle discount.  However, it's really only a fair comparison if you would have bought all of those things anyway.  Some of us don't think it's worth the money to buy all of those things separately.  More of us might find it worth it to buy them all at a discount for $550.  But many of us don't.  It really depends on what those benefits are worth to you, which is different for everyone.  Some of us travel a lot and would get a lot of use from them and may see Plat as a great deal.  And some of us maybe not so much.  It's completely subjective, which makes arguing about whether people should get it kinda pointless.

Message 74 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

Right because getting: 

$200 towards Uber

Hilton Gold status. 

But it's not free.  It's $550 per year.

I see what you're saying. Essentialy you're getting all of those rebates and status perks at a bundle discount.  However, it's really only a fair comparison if you would have bought all of those things anyway.  Some of us don't think it's worth the money to buy all of those things separately.  More of us might find it worth it to buy them all at a discount for $550.  But many of us don't.  It really depends on what those benefits are worth to you, which is different for everyone.  Some of us travel a lot and would get a lot of use from them and may see Plat as a great deal.  And some of us maybe not so much.  It's completely subjective, which makes arguing about whether people should get it kinda pointless.

The Ameriprise version is $0 the first year, which is the one we're referring to. 

Message 75 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.