Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG another bonus after one year?

tag
Emyshor
Valued Member

AMEX PRG another bonus after one year?

Hi guys,

I had the PRG last year, got the 50K bonus points, closed the card 6 months ago.

Today, I've received a mail offer with a promotion code and saying I'll get 25K bonus after spending $1000. Should I apply with that promotion code? I know the bonus is only once, but AMEX does know that, why they sent this offer since I've got the 50K offer last year? I'll waste another hard inquiry and don't get the bonus?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX PRG another bonus after one year?

Apologies, but you will not be eligible for your welcome offer nor will you have recourse if you call in regarding it after the fact. During the application, there is wording directly under the offer stating that you are not eligible if you have or have had the product in the past. It is the applicant's responsibility to read and understand the application prior to submission.
Message 2 of 6
Emyshor
Valued Member

Thanks for quick respose.

I know about the rule, but wandering why Amex spend money printing such a nice package (AMEX PRG) since they know I don't qualify? My wife got the same package and she had the PRG also last year and she got 50K points.

To me, they waste money sending those letters knowing we don't qualify to apply again.

Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Emyshor wrote:

Thanks for quick respose.

I know about the rule, but wandering why Amex spend money printing such a nice package (AMEX PRG) since they know I don't qualify? My wife got the same package and she had the PRG also last year and she got 50K points.

To me, they waste money sending those letters knowing we don't qualify to apply again.

They don't know that you don't qualify because its strictly marketing and could be a result of your zip code, or other algorithm info fed into a computer .

Scores, housing prices in your neighborhood, some place you made a large purchase etc etc  

Mass marekting at it's best 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry by the way, I didn't notice how harsh I sounded until I just re-read this.. but yes to concur with @myjourney's response, Marketing does not communicate with Card Services.. don't ask me to explain the lack of logic surrounding that.

Message 5 of 6
cjesser15
Contributor

I was in literally the exact same situation a couple months ago and wondered the same thing. I ended up chatting with a customer service rep. The rep confirmed I would not be eligible for the bonus, apologized, and said I should not have received the mailer.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.