Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG counting toward utilization?

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

AMEX PRG counting toward utilization?

I pulled my Transunion report and score from MyFico the other day, and surprisingly found that my AMEX PRG is being counted toward my utilization as a revolving account. It was my understanding that a charge card is not supposed to be counted toward utilization. Is this correct? If so, how do I get this corrected?
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG counting toward utilization?

Has the statement closed already? If i let my get a due date it shows the balance on my cr until the statement closes.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 6
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

I have had the card for 4 months. The most recent statement closed 5 days before I pulled the report.
Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:
I pulled my Transunion report and score from MyFico the other day, and surprisingly found that my AMEX PRG is being counted toward my utilization as a revolving account. It was my understanding that a charge card is not supposed to be counted toward utilization. Is this correct? If so, how do I get this corrected?

The TU 98 FICO version sold here at myFICO includes charge card balances in revolving utilization calculations.    Other FICO versions exclude charge card balances, however in all cases a charge card reporting a balance is included as a card with a balance.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for the info.  That's good to know.  I guess I will start paying the PRG the day before the statement cuts, just as I do my Mastercard.  My Visa can be my 1 reporting a balance to give me a 1% or 2% utilization.

Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Thank you so much for the info.  That's good to know.  I guess I will start paying the PRG the day before the statement cuts, just as I do my Mastercard.  My Visa can be my 1 reporting a balance to give me a 1% or 2% utilization.

I wouldn't worry about your charge card too much ~ if you are concerned about a mortgage app, most lenders will be using the FICO 04 version which ignores the balance.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.