Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pay Over Time On Charge Cards

tag
shane82388
Established Contributor

AMEX Pay Over Time On Charge Cards

Is this a difficult thing to qualify for? Ive had a Green AMEX since August and its been perfectly taken care of, i tried to see if i qualified for the pay over time thing and it said "not at this time".

Whats the story on this feature? Is it easier to just get a revolving account with them or is it easier to be approved for the "pay over time" feature for the charge cards?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX Pay Over Time On Charge Cards

It's not that hard.  Amex automatically enrolled my Gold card in it after about 6 months.  As long as you keep paying on time, I'd expect you to be eligible shortly.

Message 2 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

Is this a difficult thing to qualify for? Ive had a Green AMEX since August and its been perfectly taken care of, i tried to see if i qualified for the pay over time thing and it said "not at this time".

Whats the story on this feature? Is it easier to just get a revolving account with them or is it easier to be approved for the "pay over time" feature for the charge cards?

I would be concerned about asking for it, they may take it as you can't pay like you could before and want to try an F/R. but thats an extreme circumstance (say if they SP'ed you once you asked for it and didn't like what they see)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 14
Ron1
Super Contributor

I don't think you can enroll and they give it to you when you qualify. I got for my PR Gold and Green. The rate is high.  My brother had it and they took it away when he carried balance over three months. By the way, Pay over times doesn't report to CRA.

Ron.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think Amex looks too negatively at enrolling in it.  I think they realize people are having to use other cards for larger, unplanned purchases like new appliances or car repairs that they may need an extra month or two to pay.  Amex would rather them keep using their Amex for these purchases.  

Message 5 of 14
Ron1
Super Contributor

You can get a Plum Card and spread it two months without paying any interest.

Ron.

Message 6 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think Amex looks too negatively at enrolling in it.  I think they realize people are having to use other cards for larger, unplanned purchases like new appliances or car repairs that they may need an extra month or two to pay.  Amex would rather them keep using their Amex for these purchases.  

I can see your point there too. My comment was only geared towards someone who is in a pinch and showing high util. on their reports and could possibly throw a red flag up for AMEX by asking for it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I can see your point there too. My comment was only geared towards someone who is in a pinch and showing high util. on their reports and could possibly throw a red flag up for AMEX by asking for it.

Yes, I'm sure that would be true.  Also using the extended payment option continuously and/or for luxury purchases is probably a bad idea as well.

Message 8 of 14
shane82388
Established Contributor

So in other words its there to not be used and you should really get a revolving card if you plan on paying off purchases over time...at least thats what it seems like.

Message 9 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@shane82388 wrote:

So in other words its there to not be used and you should really get a revolving card if you plan on paying off purchases over time...at least thats what it seems like.

I think it's there for when you absolutely need it and not to abuse it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.